adding salt cell to existing equipment

I need advice on how i should plumb in a salt cell on existing equipment.
The salt cell is an aquarite t-15 cell which measures about 15" long and has a separate flow sensor built into a Tee-fitting
I was thinking about putting the flow sensor on the pool return side further into the plumbing to avoid generating chlorine when running the spa.
Also my search has turned up mixed results about whether to put a check valve in. What would you do with my particular setup?

gln5M3M.jpg

KsTaXxv.jpg

I like the drawing with the red lines. It has fewer 90 degree bends and mounts the SWG higher up (which I like but is just a convenience thing).

You can mount the flow sensor on the same pipe, just lower down.

Oh I get it now ... all your extra lines threw me :)

Those are some weird angles coming out of the heater with very little pipe left at the valve, so that is going to make life tough. You will likely need to use a 2.5" coupler on the outside of the valve and then a 2/2.5 reducer back to 2" pipe.

You can put the sensor on the pool side and the cell right out of the heater (no check valve needed). Just worried that you will have clean enough flow for the sensor if you can not get 12 straight inched of pipe.

do i even need to worry about the salt system running while in spa only mode?
will it over-chlorinate while sitting in the spa?
my automation won't be able to control the salt system.

However, I am running a variable speed pump, and will probably keep a lower percentage/longer run time, so maybe this will help balance things?

i'm thinking to just put the flow sensor in with the rest of the new piping and stop over-thinking it.

thanks for the input

Yes, do consider the spa issue, though there is no need to "worry" about it :)

When in spa mode, if the SWG is running at normal pool strength the FC level will go up way too quickly. If you had an automation system it would automatically turn down the SWG to 1/20th of the percentage setting when running in spa mode, and then turn it back to normal when going back to pool mode. You can either do that manually, or setup the SWG to only run in pool mode, or get an automation system that knows how to talk to the SWG.

Could i wire the main power to the Aquarite Control Panel from a relay that would only turn on when the pump is in pool mode.
Is there any harm in turning the power on/off to the control panel every time the pump goes on/off?
this way its not dependent on the flow sensor, in case that ever fails.

It is supposed to be powered from the pump timer so that it is on/off with the pump. The flow switch is a backup.

But, won't the pump be on in spa mode too? I am not sure what kind of relay would be connected to your valves? :scratch:
Wait, what automation system do you have? Add it to your signature.

I have an older aqualink rs8 (rev. HH) with an intellicom adapter able to interpret aqualink relays-to-speeds to the variable speed pump

the speeds i have are programmed are:
1800rpm pool cleaner
1300rpm pool filtration
2500rpm spa mode

i think i could wire the pump to the line side (always on) and have the SWG on the load side (on/off with relay) and splice the low voltage so that SWG has power when pump speed 2 is in use

kind of a big work-around, but i think it may work,
and from what i learned the newer aqualink doesnt support other salt systems anymore... without another adapter (chlorinator translator)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an older aqualink rs8 (rev. HH) with an intellicom adapter able to interpret aqualink relays-to-speeds to the variable speed pump

the speeds i have are programmed are:
1800rpm pool cleaner
1300rpm pool filtration
2500rpm spa mode

i think i could wire the pump to the line side (always on) and have the SWG on the load side (on/off with relay) and splice the low voltage so that SWG has power when pump speed 2 is in use

kind of a big work-around, but i think it may work,
and from what i learned the newer aqualink doesnt support other salt systems anymore... without another adapter (chlorinator translator)

If I'm correct, AquaLink Rev HH does not support Aqua Rite chlorine generator. Jandy didn't add it until Rev I and blocked support as of Rev L. Yes you can just power up the AquaRite, but you will not be able to control it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.