Adding a timer

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
Can I add a timer to this set up? Hind sight being 20/20 I would have done it differently. I was thinking I could drill the side and connect a timer wired back to the outlet. The plugin type timer is not rated for my pump.

bepunemu.jpg

It would seem to me that the basic answer would be "yes". In my mind I would "raise" the enclosure you have and "insert" the timer below, wired to whichever outlets you want to control. Kind of totem-pole like. I don't know about "drilling" the side if there is not already a knock-out there. But that's just me. Is this a recent install or an existing setup?

Ok I think I figured out what I am going to do. I looked at the Intermatic P1131 timer but it states a 1HP motor mine is 2HP (well actually it is a 1.5HP... Stupid play on numbers). At any rate i am going to get an Intermatic T101R that will be mounted on the back side. That is not a completed photo I have in my first post. There is a wood Cap on top. The Timer will be attached to the wood cap with brackets and screws. I will drill a knockout in the 2 gang box on one side and use a 90 degree liquid tight fitting, a short piece of flex pvc conduit and another 90 degree liquid tight into the side of the T101.

This should keep things neatly on top of my tower of power LOL. I could have put it in the house off of the panel but then I would not have 24 hour power to the gfci receptacle. Well I guess I didn't totally think this one through..... I listened to the pool store guy that said "just turn the pump on low and let it run 24/7".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.