Cost to core drill and install wall returns

bproosow

Bronze Supporter
Apr 8, 2014
Auburn, CA
Has anyone had to do this? My pool was built with only floor returns, so the circulation is terrible (okay, nonexistent). I have a couple of areas where I can easily access the backside of the shell and have plumbing close by. I'd like to add 3-4 wall returns. It's a free-form pool with lots of ins and outs, so I think it would take that many to really get the water moving and into the skimmer (which was put on the wrong end of the pool if you ask me). I know that costs vary quite a bit by region, but I'm just curious. More than likely I'll end up doing this when I replaster-- hopefully that will be next year if I can save up some money.

Thanks!

Your best option would be to get several bids from local PB's for the replaster, with the return install included.

If you are handy at things like this, you could rent a hammer drill and coring bit to do it yourself just before your replaster.

I think I paid $600 to have an auto-fill added ... I would think the work/cost would be similar for a return jet. Also greatly depends on the access to the plumbing loop.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. If I were to do this, I would be eliminating the floor returns. I'd like to add another skimmer as well, but the question of the returns is more about taking advantage of the opportunity while I have access to do so (there is an area with no decking that I'd like to finish off). Soooo... I'd be looking at probably 4 returns and one skimmer.

Have you made sure your flow rate (turnover rate) is correct? I've never had a problem with circulation with in floor return. Sounds like a lot to go through if you only need to resize a pump or filter.

Check your flow rate and filter capacity. Might be easier to switch out a pump or filter than change to wall returns.

LeimLife, turnover has been proven as a meaningless parameter and we generally recommend the smallest pumps (which meet minimum flow rates for features) and largest filters. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.