Stopper for Main Drain

Jul 14, 2014
Niverville, NY
I'm trying to troubleshoot a leaking pool issue with the advice provided in this forum. I'm at the stage where I need to do the bucket test and block all the ports to the pool to see if the water level continues to drop faster than evaporation. I can't figure out how to stop the main drain, however. I do have a separate pipe and valve at the equipment pad, but can't see how to plug the main drain in the pool to ensure there's no leak in that part of the plumbing? We just bought the house and I don't seem to have anything in the equipment shed that looks like it would cover the drain.

Thanks in advance, I've been soaking up all the advice in this forum, adopting BBB and so far have effectively SLAM'd my pool and gone from green to clean! :D

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You could put a plastic sheet over the drain with a bag of sand on top. However there is no reason to plug everything up until you confirm you actually have a leak and are trying to figure out where it is.

Jason, thanks for the quick response.

I've already done the bucket test with everything open and running as usual so I know there's a leak somewhere, now I'm trying to determine where. I did try plugging just the skimmer and running everything through the main drain, but the problem didn't abate so it seems like it must be either the main drain or one of the outlet ports.

Does my methodology seem sound?

Not having any details on the pool make it hard to help, but I like a challenge!
Ask your pool store for leak detection ink. It comes in a small syringe and is purple or yellow. Turn off the pump close the valves to and from the pool. Start in the skimmer then try the light conduit. Move down to the returns. Then to the Kaufman plug (if equipped) Then to the main drains. Depending on size of pool and outlets, you might need a few dye syringes, SCUBA gear, a leak detection company and a pool professional. In Ohio we had a lot of Kaufman plug / Hydrostatic leaks this year as well as light conduit problems, most likely due to the amount of rain that has fallen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.