100 degree water, new pool

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
Another super newbie- my AGP is still a hole in the ground. We are supposed to be filling around Aug 3, but that date may slide to the 10th. Anyways, here in Texas, it is 100-105 daily, alternating between humid and dry. No one puts solar covers on this time of year (night or day) because the goal this time of year is to get your water below 100 degrees. Most people use some sort of in pool fountain to do that. How is that going to affect my chemicals?
We are starting with PristineBlue (Copper based), because that is what came with the pool to start, but they also have us using a weekly All-Clear Calcium Hypochlorite Shock (or will be once we have water) rather than the Pristine company shock, because of the incredible number of things (bugs, frogs, rats, birds, possums, skunks, snakes, etc) that get into pools here and the high heat (You don't want to move here). We will use the solar cover in the spring and fall to extend the season, and when the pastures around the pool are being mowed (lots of flying stuff in the air).
I did the calcium hardness test on our water as it comes out of the tap and it is low (70) so , based on what I read, we should be able to use the Hypo for a little while before we get too much built up in the system. The book for PristineBlue recommends TA of 50-90 (my water is 80-90), ph of 7.2-7.6 (my water is 7.5-7.6ish) and calcium hardness of 100-300 (my water is 70). The book actually recommends not using cal-hypo shock, but the store says I can get away with it. Once the big tub of Hypo is gone, I am considering other non-calcium options, such as bleach. What do you think?
I am not married to the PristineBlue system either, it is just what was available to me when I bought the pool, and am looking into options that can survive our extreme temps and extreme weather changes.

Welcome to TFP!

A fountain will provide aeration. That makes it a little more important to keep the TA level towards the lower half of the recommended range.

You do not want to put copper into the pool. Copper can cause unsightly stains. Best to just avoid it in the first place.

You might want to do some reading at Pool School.

We will put the fountain in as soon as the water temps go up (about a week). How do we lower the TA without dramatically lowering the PH? Our water is alkaline, as is our clay ground (wouldn't exactly call it soil). I am using the TF100 test kit. Full set of initial numbers on water out of tap:
FC 1
CC 3
TC 4
ph 7.6 ish
TA 80-90 (two different tests- two different readings)
CH 70
CYA -no reading, stayed clear all the way up the tube

Lowering TA takes a while. Given where your numbers are starting, there is no reason to be in a hurry. Just lower the PH to 7.2 any time it gets up to 7.6 or higher, and in a week or two, with a fountain running, your TA will be down where you want it.

Hi, Amjohn,

Welcome! For sure, avoid the Pristineblue.....just don't even get started.

One thing to add to Jason's post......a strong, hi-volume fountain will cool your pool so well you'll have to shut it off from time to time.....really!!

uwimage,

Hijacking the thread a little but you just might find more cooling in the mid to late afternoon when the relative humidity is the lowest. Mine gets downright chilly if I run it about that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.