No Carts in Filter, Still Running 25 PSI

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
just installed a (used) Hayward SwimClear C2030 with filthy carts; new ones were supposed to be here yesterday, FedEx now says next Monday.
Need to skim before next Monday (or whenever they show up).
When I installed the filter, I removed all the 1 1/2" PVC (caused by the old, disused heater) and upgraded it to 2" throughout.
The pump is 2 hp, maybe because the equipment is 40' from the pool - there is going to be some friction loss, even with plastic pipe.
This filter plugs the top of the (4) catrs - the water is sprayed directly on the dome of the housing, and is forced into the cores from the outside. the bottom openings sit on a spider which collects the water and pushes it out the bottom opening.
The bottom opening is right into the pump, so i router it up and over the pump suction line.
The pad is more than large enough for an intelligent layout, put some idiot put the heater in the dead center of the pad, making over 1/2 of the pad inaccessible.

So the outlet raises about a foot coming out of the filter.

So: before I start diconnection the pressure line at various points (which will **** of my back something fierce):
Between that rise in the pressure line and the distance to the pool, does 25 psi (new gauge) seem even possibly normal?

Thanks again for all the help!

I would consider 25 PSI as normal for a 1.5 (or is it 2) HP Northstar. Sig say 1 1/2 but post says 2 HP. Either way that is a really BIG pump and will push a lot of water causing very high pressures. But what was the pressure before all these changes? And was the pump the same?

There are 2 returns - at the point as far as possib;e from the pump, of course.
These are (I think) 1 1/2" PVC angled in.
Only the one has substantial discharge. They are both in the shallow end, aimed to run along the walls - the skimmer and drain are at the other end.

The old Ortega valves are getting difficult, but I'll clean out the spa and let it fill - it is much closer to the filter, and has 2 or 3 good jets (these seem to have been glued on - I wonder why the builder is out of business?)

Actually, I never really got the old equipment functioning long enough to get a consistent reading (the original filter had an absolutely filthy cart, and was undersized to boot). Next I made a bad purchase on a replacement, and it died shortly after its new cart.
So, now on 3rd pump and 3rd filter, and just establishing baseline.

Oh - I'm losing it I can remember a time when I still had it - that was good times!) - it is a 1 1/2 hp pump

I think the SV on the motor is 1.6, so it is probably not an honest 1 1/2.

It's be tomorrow at the earliest before I get the spa fit for clean water. It had mustard algae forming and creeping up to the only-mostly-waterproof plug I have between it and the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.