Pool - Spa circulation & questions

glr

Jul 9, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I have a 18k pool and a 8' dia spa w/ spill way. I currently circulate the water for 10 hrs per day in the spill over mode. I have read that aerating the water will increase the ph levels which I would assume the spill over from the spa to the pool (12" drop) would qualify. It is a new pool but I am wondering if this is contributing to my ph running high as I am adding about 1 gallon of acid per week.

My next question is should I be running the system in spill over mode or should I be running the spa and pool seperate? I have an autofill on the pool but not the spa so at some point if the water level goes down in the spa I need to circ. from the pool to refill. Also, during the summer temps aren't an issue because the water stays around 90 just with the sun so it doesn't take much to heat the spa, but during the winter I can see this being an issue.

Finally what are the thoughts on automated ph monitoring and balancing? Is it cost effective? And what type of system is recommened.

Any suggestions on filter run times and recirculating ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

You want to run on spillover at least a little every day, but it doesn't need to be on the entire time the pump is running.

The PH rise from fresh plaster is going to be far far larger then the PH rise from the spillover for the first three or four weeks. Fresh plaster raises the PH, and to a less extent the TA and CH, levels quickly for three or four weeks and more slowly for up to a year.

I run my spillover about once a week for a few hours to replace the water in my spa and I run it for a few minutes after I use the spa to refill the spa and replace a bit of the water. Otherwise I run the pool and spa separately.

I have an Aqualogic PS-8 and would like to set it up with two cycles, one to filter the pool only and one to run for an hour in spill over mode. The only problem is I can't find anyway to do this with the controller, it is either spill mode or pool mode.
The pool was filled on June 6th so it is almost 2 months now.

waterbear said:
I run my spillover about once a week for a few hours to replace the water in my spa and I run it for a few minutes after I use the spa to refill the spa and replace a bit of the water. Otherwise I run the pool and spa separately.
waterbear, How long are your separate times?

What about the automatic ph systems?

Thanks for the comments.

glr

glr said:
I have an Aqualogic PS-8 and would like to set it up with two cycles, one to filter the pool only and one to run for an hour in spill over mode. The only problem is I can't find anyway to do this with the controller, it is either spill mode or pool mode.
The pool was filled on June 6th so it is almost 2 months now.

waterbear said:
waterbear, How long are your separate times?

What about the automatic ph systems?

Thanks for the comments.

glr
IO have a PS-8 also and you are right, it cannot be done. I just use the remote to put it into spillover mode when I do this. As far as automatic pH systems, my feelings is that they are more trouble and maintenance (not to mention the expense) for a residential pool. In commercial pools these systems do receive constant maintenance (I should know, I work with them at the commercial site I maintain). Once your plaster cures the pH will become less of a problem and by tweaking your water chemistry you can reduce your acid demand. For the first year, no matter what you do, you will be adding a lot of acid and frequently! It's the nature of the beast!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.