does cloudy = night for chlorine departure and Ok to add chlorine / acid together

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
I understand should add chlorine in the evening so works all night before daytime sunny burn off

lots of cloudy weather out here and is convenient to check pool in the AM before kids get in and add stuff if needed

so is chlorine burn off any different daytime cloudy from night time
i.e. should I change to evening schedule?
TFP search did not return anything

and

seems I add bleach, pH goes up, add acid; repeat
anything wrong with adding bleach & acid at the same time?
TFP search says from 2009 add one, wait a few minutes for it to mix, then add the other
still valid?

You can add the chlorine whenever it is convenient ... but you should try to be consistent to learn your pools needs. The time of day does not really matter very much.

You should test the pH and FC at the same time and then adjust both (leaving at least a few minutes between the additions so they mix separately in the water). The bleach will temporarily raise the pH, but it will drop as it is consumed.

I think UV radiation passes through clouds, so cloudy is not the same as night time.

Regarding time of day to add chlorine, I like to add it in the evening so that FC is at its highest all night long. Adding it in the morning would have FC at its lowest level all night long.

I prefer to test/add in the evening due to the FC being higher for longer periods overnight rather than like mentioned earlier where it would be lowest overnight. But life is life and sometimes morning is when I have time.

30 minutes with circulation between adding different types of chemicals is recommended. In a pool your size, like mine, I've added liquid acid at one end of the pool and added bleach at the other end of the pool within 10 minutes of each other but safer and more effective to give each chemical time to mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.