Happy (Now) Pool Owner

Jun 16, 2014
Granbury, TX
I have been following TFP method for a little over a month now and could not be happier. First some history. Moved into new (to us) house in April 2013. It had an existing pool, probably 20 years or more old. The previous owner followed TFP and even left me a TF-100 test kit. Me being a total newbie, ignorant and lazy, I listened to more "experienced" pool owners and big pool store and just went with chlorine pucks and powdered shock. I fought algae all last summer. When it started again this year I was ready to give up and pay someone to take care of pool (what a mistake that would have been). Finally I broke out the TF-100 and started following TFP. I have not had to "shock" since the middle of June with no sign of the algae. Pool has been consistently clean and sparkling since. Even when out of town for a week, I simply boosted the FC to slam level and came home to a beautiful pool.

The only problem I think I am having is high pH. Here are test results from yesterday.

FC: 5.5
CC: 0
pH: 8.0
T/A: 80
CH: 220
CYA: 60

pH seems to consistently continue to rise. Usually add about a gallon of acid over a week period. Is this usual or am I missing something. I have been keeping the FC level at 7.

Other than this as the title say I am a Happy Pool Owner thanks to TFP.

30,000 gal (best guess)
In ground plaster
2 hp Pentair challenger pump
triton II TR60 sand filter.

Welcome! :wave:

30,000 gallons is a big pool, so anything you add will have to be huge quantities. A gallon a week still seems high for acid use. If, however, you got the "safe" or "low-fuming" acid, it will likely be half strength stuff, and a gallon in a pool your size will only lower TA by about 8 and pH by .5. That's not unreasonable.

The TA isn't so high I would expect to see rapid pH rise, so I wonder if you have a waterfall, or a slide, or a spillover spa that vigorously aerates the water, driving pH up.

You pool could also be bigger than you think. Paying careful attention to what happens when you add chemicals over a period of time and comparing the results with your expected results will help you figure that out. If you overshoot, your pool is smaller than you think. If you come up short, it's bigger. Play with poolmath and have a look at Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.