New to TFP...need help prioritizing!

Jul 23, 2014
Northville, MI
Hello,

I've been reading up (on TFP) on how to best maintain the chemical levels in our pool, and know I have some work to do. I ordered the TF-100 and have been testing daily for about a week. I'm most confused about what to tackle first and the timing of adding things to correct all of the levels, and am hoping someone can help me figure out the best plan of action.

My readings at 5 pm today were as follows:
FC: 2.5 (I had added 1 g. pool store chlorine at 9:30 am)
CC: .5
TC: 3
pH: 8.2
TA: 190
CH: 150
CYA: 40
salt: 3600

I just tested for an OCLT and will retest tomorrow to see how much it falls. TC is 2.0, CC is 0.

We saw a bit of algae growing on the walls just before the 4th of July and shocked/brushed the pool twice. Now I'm just beginning to notice it again. We did not SLAM, and are planning to do so now. I'm just not sure what we should tackle first. Can I SLAM a SWG pool with a CYA at 40, or do I need to raise it (and therefore use more bleach)? Do we need to lower the pH first? If I understand correctly, the TA should come down with the pH. The CH needs to go up, but can it wait for the rest to settle down? Or can I do that at the same time as the rest? Not sure, and don't want to start throwing chemicals in and defeating the process!

I've learned so much here already, but am sometimes overwhelmed by it all. I'm encouraged, though, and know that if I can get this under control this summer, next summer will be so much more fun! (No more learning curve!)

Thanks for any help you can give,

Hi, welcome to TFP! We will talk you through the first stages of your slam if you would like. First you should lower the pH to 7.2. You will have some false high pH readings during the slam, so you want to make sure to lower pH first. Your CYA is ok for a slam, usually we would recommend 30, but 40 will work and won't use a whole lot more bleach to reach your slam level. You can go ahead and raise the CH to 250 during the slam process. It won't interfere with the slam. When you slam it is important to maintain slam level as consistently as possible. You should test and dose your pool to maintain slam level at least every 2 hours the first day or two. When your chlorine consumption slows you can go longer between tests. Brush the pool daily and vacuum as needed. Run the pump and filter 24/7 during the slam process. Use PoolMath to determine your slam level and how much bleach to use. You can turn off the SWG during the slam and always make sure it is off for an OCLT.

Leave the CYA alone. You'll just make more work for yourself if you raise it before the SLAM.

Your pH may be higher than 8.2, since everything above that measures at 8.2. So plug your numbers into poolmath and add whatever it calculates to get pH to 7.2. Let the pump run at least half an hour afterwards, and if your brush a little to set up some cross-currents, it will mix better. Then recheck pH again. If you're below 7.5, go. Otherwise, retest TA and plug in the numbers again and dose it again.

When pH is between 7.2 and 7.5, hit it with bleach to get it to shock level. It's your choice whether you leave the SWG on or not; just don't set it to boost. And remember to shut it off when you're ready for the overnight loss test.

Don't skimp on brushing, and don't neglect those hiding spots inside the light niche and beneath ladders and steps, if applicable.

After you pass the three tests and the SLAM is over, let the FC drift down below 10 and repeat all your tests. Then you can mess with pH and CYA and CH. They can all be fixed in an afternoon.

Thank you both for your help!

Surprisingly, the FC didn't go down last night in the OCLT. Still at 2. I do still see tiny bits of algae, though, so I'm assuming I still need to SLAM.

I'll need to delay the SLAM until Saturday, since I won't be able to test every two hours tomorrow. Otherwise, would begin today. In the meantime, I'll lower the pH.

Again, thank you for your quick replies!

Welcome to the forum Bonnie :wave:

It's seems like an up hill battle at first but it's just a matter of having patience, doing some reading and posting what you're thinking of doing before you do it along with any questions and soon it will come together.

Drop your pH and then while you are slamming forget about it as it isn't reliable again until you're under 10ppm FC.
You can start the SLAM sooner. Might want to stock up on some bleach. For a CYA of 40 you should be aiming for 16ppm FC. The trick is to try and maintain it at 16 as best you can. It's recommended to test ever hour at first if possible as usually the FC will be dropping like a rock but soon the FC loss is less and less and you get a feel for how often you need to test and adjust. It goes from each hour to two hours, four hours, but at least twice daily. Since you say you are seeing spots of algae I'd hit it with the shock target now and test as often as possible. Maybe start after work this evening ?? Sounds like your water is fairly clear so it might not be as big or long a battle as some of the green monsters you read about here ;)

I'll need to delay the SLAM until Saturday, since I won't be able to test every two hours tomorrow. Otherwise, would begin today. In the meantime, I'll lower the pH.
No, you don't.

The directions say "Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day." If you can't stand there all day, you can't stand there all day. It is what it is. But you can dose it before work, and again as soon as you get home, and again just before bed. The longer you delay, the longer you let the algae reproduce. Wouldn't you rather spend Saturday in the pool instead of standing outside staring at it, willing it to clear? Just my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.