Floating Chlorinator

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
We are leaving for vacation this weekend. We will be gone one week and the weather is calling for 90 degree days while we are gone.
Since unfortunately our SWG is not operating yet, we need to resolve to a floating puck chlorinator.

DH is going to p/u the floater tonight and the one we see will hold (6) 3" pucks.
Can someone tell me how much CL this will provide while we are gone. I do not see in the description that you can adjust the amount of Cl released, so unsure of this at the moment.

I will increase the Cl with bleach b/f we leave to around 7 which will last 2 days or so until it reaches back to 4ish.

So much for automation this year. All I can say is that next year with the SWG working, pool maintenance will be a breeze compared to this year.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

My assumption is your CYA is around 30-50ppm based on the Cl numbers you gave.

There are several ways to approach you situation. I think I would bring the FC up to around 16-18ppm with liquid chlorine and then float about 4 pucks.

That should protect your pool for a week and the resultant CYA addition to your pool is negligible with 4 pucks.

You are correct that the last time I checked our CYA level it was around 50-55.

If based on your suggestion we were to increase the Cl level to 16, over what time period should we do this...a few hours..one full day?

Thx.

So I tested my CYA this evening and it is actually on the low side....30. I am surprised our FC level hasn't been more erratic, but only one gallon per day recently even with full sun and warm temps, although we have cut the swimming down since we are having the patio area done over the last two weeks.

The last time I tested was 7/21 and it was around 50. Since then we had some rain last week and the landscapers when compacting the stone for the pavers punctured a line so we lost about 3" of water before I noticed.

My question now is 1) do I add the stabilizer (we have the liquid kind) or 2) since we are going to float the pucks for 5-6 days, leave the CYA since you said the pucks will increase CYA anyway?

(Remember, we do not have our SWG operating yet, but when we do we will be sure to increase the CYA)

Thx.

So we left for vacation yesterday and I am going to *try* to not worry about the pool at home. First year Mommy to the pool though.

I brought the CL level to about 14ppm. Then our local pool store sells the PoolLife brand so we bought some non-stabilized chlorine sticks. Our CYA was 30 b/f leaving. We did not put them in the skimmer before leaving though since we felt the CL level was high enough for a few days. Tried calling the pool store to find out how much CL these sticks will actually add to the pool and they were unsure. All they told us was 1 stick/10k gallons of water (Love the pool stores that sell products they know nothing about)

We will have someone checking on the pool by Tuesday, so it is possible we will have them add 1 stick to the skimmer for us.

I will also call the company and try to get a direct answer from them too.

Here is a quick mention of PoolLife in another post on TFP.
chlorine-pucks-tabs-without-stabilizer-cya-t7047.html?hilit=poollife%20chemicals

Thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.