Solar Panel Damage?

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
It's hot here, and the pool is already 90*. I don't want it to get any warmer, so I've turned off the solar panels and taken off the cover. My question is, will I do any damage to the solar panels letting them sit up on the garage in the beating sun all day full of water? I've just been going out there avery half hour or so and closing the bypass so cool pool water flows into them and the HOTT water flows out.

Thanks,
Adam

Thanks, I guess I'll just let the water out when I don't need the heat. The only thing is, I have to go up to the roof and open a rubber cap to release the vacuum. The panels didn't come with a vacuum breaker, so I was wondering if I can just use a normal plumbing check valve to break the vacuum?

Something like this:
611918012056md.jpg

Thanks,
Adam

A plumbing check valve will work but I don't use the style you show in your picture.
The type I use is a 1" brass, threaded spring style check which works great.
I simply put it on the highest point of my panels and when the pump shuts off the water pulls the valve open which drains the water. As soon as the negative pressure goes away the valve closes and is ready for the next cycle.
There is also a plastic check (brand name Brady) which is of the same style but they are much cheaper made and will cause problems. The problem I had was when the check valve would close the spring wasn't strong enough to completly seat the valve. This caused water to spray out of the check the next time my controller turned the panels on. If I hadn't been home I would have lost a LOT of water over the course of the day.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Thanks, I'll lok into a brass check valve. I was going to mention in my last pos that last night I ran the panels all night to cool down the pool. It worked alright, but only dropped the temp about 4*. That was enough to get the water to 89* and that's right about where we like it so that's good.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.