Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
This is a post that I hope will help others in the forum.

I have an undermount encapsulated Coverstar track system.

My Coverstar automatic cover fabric was dying after 9 years ( not a bad run for this kind of cover). As many of you know anything Coverstar does for you tends to be incredibly expensive. I watched a few years ago when one of their techs changed out a broken rope ( $800 thank you!). The hardest part was removing the plastic molding the secures the track into it's encapsulation.

To replace my cover Coverstar gave me a bid that I just couldn't live with. I found a vendor that would sell to me online. He could have sold me a Coverstar or PCS replacement cover . PCS was just easier and could ship to me directly. Coverstar would not. So I bought a PCS cover.

Understanding the rope system, replacing the cover was remarkably easy as long as you have some basic handyman skills. So far (about 2 months in) The new cover is working well, it is better bonded than what Coverstar did 9 years ago. PCS is 1 mil thinner than Coverstar, but actually glides more easily. (I have a kidney pool inside a rectangular deck). Both claim to have welded seems which PCS reinforces with stitching. Whichever company you choose doing the install yourself may save you 50% or more. It sure did in my case.

I was terrified to spend the money with an online vendor, but the vendor was very attentive and I got exactly what I paid for. I don't know if I should put his URL here so if you want the name of the company you are welcome to e-mail me privately through TFP.

Some Helpful tips:

There are Coverstar Installation manuals and parts manuals online-- include PDF in your search and you can save and download these files.
I found them helpful in planning the install.

I used this opportunity to replace many of the ball bearings in the pulley system after 9 years and I also replaced my Plastic encapsulation trim.
I replaced my sliders as well.

If you remove your inner tracks be sure the outer track is clean and be sure the inner track goes all the way in and up. The encapsulation shim will fit in much more easily that way ( the shim locks the inner and outer track into position).

The plastic encapsulation trim can be difficult to pry out if the tracks are tight. This go round I left tabs beyond the track to grasp onto. I find a vice grip helpful to pull them out.

PCS cover comes with built in ropes, The cover comes with sliders too, so you don't need to order another set. If your ropes and pulleys are intact you can use the old ropes to pull through the new ropes without having to remove your encapsulated track.

If the PCS ropes break you would just buy a set of Coverstar replacement ropes (which you can do online) and attach them to your sliders as coverstar does. I didn't understand that PCS covers came with ropes and sliders so I purchased these additionally but will save them for future repairs.

With both covers you have to make holes at the reinforced front corners to attach the cover to the sliders. My holes we a little far from the edge so the sliders were tight in the track. Solved this by making the holes a little bigger. Next time (hopefully in a decade) I will drill a bit closer to the edge.

The leading aluminum edge screws to the sliders from below. I found a shallow right angle Phillips screwdriver that made this easy.

The cover is intentionally wider than the tracks to allow some necessary laxity. On the take up roll Coverstar pleats the cover to allow for this extra width. Because my pool is a kidney within a rectangular cover at the take up end of the cover this created folds in the material which eventually created leaks through the fabric. In my own install rather than pleats I took up the fabric between screws on the take up reel much more slowly. As a result there are no major folds to fail now. This is probably not an issue for you if you have a rectangular pool and cover.

My old cover was not bonded to the leading edge or take up reel. I did bond it (just a couple of extra screws through a metal tape) in my install and properly bonded the tracks as well. Its all in the Coverstar install guide so I don't know why they didn't do it on my original cover install.

Coverstar wanted $100 to dispose of my old cover. I cut it into strips and squares and my trash guys took it away for nothing !

Anyhow,

You clearly need some knowledge about your own system if this post is to be of help, but I hope it saves someone else a lot of money. It sure did for me.

If you have questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks for posting your details. We are early in the ownership of a Coverstar cover. However it will invariably need replaced someday. I'm going to print this out and put it with my cover materials to consider when the time comes.

Replace your own pool cover One year follow up

Just a quick follow up to my post a year ago:

Replaced a coverstar canvas with a PCS canvas:

No issues, no problems and had a great season. My pool is a kidney inside a rectangle , so the cover drags on some of the stone. Every week or two I would hose out the tracks and the stone which made gliding much easier.

I attached the end of the cover to the take up reel with smaller more frequent pleats so I no longer see folds at the take up end of my pool . These folds in the original cover became cracks and points of failure.

I still want to change the hydraulic fluid in the pool cover motor (it has never been changed) but It was working so well I just left it alone. If anyone has experience with that please let me know.

I will likely replace the sliders at the beginning of next season just as a precaution.

As of this writing the savings of the DIY replacement has bee well worth it.

Reactions: TLCole
Follow up:

Year 3 post DIY automati cover replacement.
My PCS pool cover continues to hold up well. I decided to replace the sliders this year as a preventive measure.
I learned from my parts vendor that PCS was purchased by Latham, the parent company of Coverstar. I am sick about this because now I suspect prices will skyrocket without competition. Hope I get a lot of years out of this cover.

If you are in the Midwest we used Pool Cover Pros, Inc to replace our Cover Star cover. They use Automatic Pool Covers, Inc replacement covers. They were about $1400 dollars cheaper than having the Cover Star guys replace it with their cover.

Wow, you got nine years out of your pulleys? Our cover from Cover Pools is in it's fourth year of operation and it's getting VERY slow to open. I spoke with the installer and they want about $500 to come out and perform maintenance (Which I already do) and replace the pulleys. Cover works perfectly; I lube it as per the schedule indicated in the manual and it opens and closes perfectly, other than very slow on the open.

He said the manufacturer recommends replacing the pulleys EVERY YEAR, and if I've gotten 3-4 years out of mine, I did really well. But he said that's why it's slow to open.

I'm just not spending $500 every year (Or every 3-4!) I can get the pulleys from www.automaticswimmingpoolcoverparts.com, it's just a matter of figuring out the process to install them. I'm quite handy, but haven't found any good guides (yet) on the actual install so I can see where all of the pulleys are.

Just saw your post. I don't really know your cover brand. On Coverstar undermount most pulleys are easily accesible at the motor end of the cover. There are pulleys in the far end where the ropes turn back on themselves. On coverstar to get at these the inner track must be removed from the outer track. To do this there is a plastic trim (encapsulation moulding) that must be pulled out. It can be challenging to pull out an edge. Once you pull out an edge grab with a strong vice grips and pull it all out. After changing the pulleys the track nust be well aligned in its outer moulding and the plastic replaced carefully.

When my cover was sluggish I adde hydraulic fluid to my hydraulic compressor and it made a huge difference(see post above). Rinsing the track every so often helps as well. Best wishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Year 4 follow up.

Just opened the pool and this is th 4th year with the PCS diy replacement cover. It continues to open much more easily after having topped off with hydraulic fluid last year. The sliders seem to be in good shape so unless there is a reason I will leave them alone this year. I personally have found the best way to clean the cover is to do it in a rain storm. With the cover closed and the cover pump in I scrub it with my pool wall plactic bristle brush and most of the winter debris comes off nicely and is sucked out by the pump. I am pleased with the grey color of the cover it shows dirt far less than my original blue cover. no rope problems yet.

I contunue to hose down the tracks and pool deck every few weeks.

Occasionally after a heavy rain it can be hard to get the cover open. water gets under the cover and creates a surface tension with the underlying deck (in my situation). I have been thinking about adding a built in air blower. I think I could channel air along the channels that hold the tracks.

I bought a coverstar autodrain cover pump last year, but could not make it work in my kidney bean pool inside a rectangle application. One member is interested in it , but if he does not buy it it is still up for grabs in complete and working order.

Thank you for posting. After reading I decided to try this on my own, crazy how much they charge for this. Took me less than 4 hours to get the tracks out, ropes routed, and tracks back in. I do have a question about the leading edge, where do you take up the slack in the leading edge? Mine is the bead type so do I have slack on the ends outside the bead?

Hi just saw your post. Glad my posts helped. I am not sure i understand your question. Slack can be taken up at the reel where the hose winds up. Even out the ropes and secure them to your drum with a screw, Or in replacement ropes You can adjust the length where it attaches to the sliders next to the leading edge (usually under a plate screwed to the slider). I can only use the drum at present because my ropes are integrated into my PCS cover. Hope this makes sense.

Year 5 follow up.

Just opened the pool for the season. Cover has been working great. Learned to make my own sliders last year and added a system to blow air under the cover before opening. The air system has been huge for me. No more drag from the pool deck my cover glides on. Both articles are listed below. No Muss or fuss so far in this fifth year after replacement. Sliders are in good shape and no need to add hydraulic fluid. Wish me luck for a maintenance free season.

DIY Coverstar sliders--for automatic pool cover.
DIY Automatic pool cover Blower system
Coverstar Hydraulic cover motor Maintainence answer is in the thread

I just finished reading your posts and have learned a lot! Thank you. We are in the midst of a DIY to save the $800 all three local pool companies want to replace our ropes. Darn rodents - meaning the mice that chewed through our ropes. This is the 2nd time the ropes have been chewed through in 3 years. Doing the install ourself would save us a lot, and we also decided that instead of spending the money to order a set of ropes we fashioned our own. Super easy and very inexpensive. Hopefully your ropes continue to last and it will be a non-issue.

We bought a set of Coverstar Semi-Rigid Detachable Rope tabs with holes for under $20. (link below) The rope we bought at Fleet Farm for under $35. We found a local company that does work with custom canvasses and they stitched and glued the tabs to the rope ends for $15. All in $70 instead of the $150-$200 that is charged for the OEM rope.

Now we need to work with our pest control company and come up with a fool proof way to keep the mice away.

Automatic Pool Cover Parts

Reactions: savedbythekell
Can you refer us to a pool cover company that will sell us a replacement pool cover (in ground)? We would like to install ourselves. The company we used previously did not do a good job and our current cover is now broken. We just want to replace everyone on our own now. We have called PCS and CoverStar. Both companies told us we had to purchase through a dealer as they don't ship directly to customers. Thanks for any info.

Can you refer us to a pool cover company that will sell us a replacement pool cover (in ground)? We would like to install ourselves. The company we used previously did not do a good job and our current cover is now broken. We just want to replace everyone on our own now. We have called PCS and CoverStar. Both companies told us we had to purchase through a dealer as they don't ship directly to customers. Thanks for any info.
HI, Just saw this post. I bought a PCS cover from automaticswimmingpoolcoverparts.com. PCS would ship directly to me and coverstar would not. The PCS cover came with ropes and sliders included. It has been working nicely and holding up well. I have replaced the slider a couple of times and even made my own out of a high density plastic. They are lasting much longer than the coverstar sliders. My rectangular cover glides over a kidney bean pool so I added an air blower that makes opening and closing much easier.

Unfortunately, Latham which i beliveve owns coverstar bought PCS. If true I suspect my next cover will be much more expensive. If you follow my posts ther is an article about diy cover replacement.

best wishes-- sorry I did not see this last year.

HI, Just saw this post. I bought a PCS cover from automaticswimmingpoolcoverparts.com. PCS would ship directly to me and coverstar would not. The PCS cover came with ropes and sliders included. It has been working nicely and holding up well. I have replaced the slider a couple of times and even made my own out of a high density plastic. They are lasting much longer than the coverstar sliders. My rectangular cover glides over a kidney bean pool so I added an air blower that makes opening and closing much easier.

Unfortunately, Latham which i beliveve owns coverstar bought PCS. If true I suspect my next cover will be much more expensive. If you follow my posts ther is an article about diy cover replacement.

best wishes-- sorry I did not see this last year.
dradam - would you be willing to print & sell me some sliders? i use the PCS 22727

Thanks for asking, it is not hard but it is a labor of love. below is the link to my post where I described how I did it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.