Pool house, cabana bath - Ideas needed

landmark218

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
League City, TX
Our pool build is coming to an end, none too soon. Now our attention has turned to building a small pool house behind the garage. The main reason is for an outside full bath to keep wet people out of the house. We are having trouble coming up with a workable design and need some ideas.

The area behind the garage is 13' X 30' but the overhang of the garage roof takes a couple of feet off the usable width. The pool decking is takes up 15' of the length. We are thinking about a free standing structure because extending the garage would be to expensive. We are not looking to build a full outdoor kitchen but a bar area would be nice. We have thought about a tiki bar with a thatched roof but don't know how to incorporate the bathroom.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I envision bath house structure going behind pool deck. Roof could extend over deck,
P7310836.jpg

How would I do the roof? If it is a thatched roof should I overhang the garage roof or make them even?
P7310835.jpg

More pictures of the area.
P7310842.jpg

P7310843.jpg

P7310845.jpg

I think I'd just plan the bathroom, then squeeze whatever else you can around it. I planned my bathroom in my cabana/poolhouse to be 6'X8', but I found it really needed more room because of shelving and hooks for storage of clothing and towels for us and guests while leaving enough room for changing, so I stole almost 2' from my pump/electrical/storage room when I finished it.

Our building is 12'X24' with a partition wall 8' from one end for the bath and equipment room. We screened the bigger room and use it as a dining and sitting area. We put in a ceiling fan and it's really a pleasant area for us when we aren't swimming or for guests who don't swim but still want to be near the pool. We kept the walls at 2' so we can easily see over them to watch kids in the pool.

I'd have saved myself a lot of work relocating plumbing if I'd anticipated how much we needed the outdoor bathroom to save on wet kids in the house. It's really nice to leave all the wet bathing suits and towels out there, and to have a nice place to change, and frequent guests even leave suits and towels in the bath.

Here's what I did. I had the PB rough in plumbing for a 6'x10" cabana off the side of my house. They tied in a 4" toilet and sink drain to the sanitary that the DE filter uses and also tied the water supply from the line that feeds the pool fill line The slab was poured with the decks and I put in anchors when the concrete was wet to secure the walls. I popped of the fascia and soffit from the house and tied the cabana roof to the house rafter tails. Insulation, siding, privacy windows, and door was added. Concrete stain for the floor and bead board for walls and ceiling. Lastly, I set a toilet, small A/C and vanity. It came out beautiful. I did all the work myself and saved a ton compared to the prices I got from remodelers. I'll post some pics if I can size them properly

John & TD: Thanks for the suggestions. I had the plumbing roughed in past the edge of the deck. I didn't know how big to make the foundation for the pool house so I didn't have them form it. I would like to see pictures of your pool houses if possible.

Tiz: I'm in the Texas gulf coast area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.