Sand in Pool

Jun 30, 2014
Michigan
Hi Yall,
I have an In ground fiberglass pool with a concrete walkway that surrounds the pool in a form of a walk way. I am getting sand/dirt into the pool from a leak just above the water edge at the fiberglass, trim seal & concrete slab area. (Picture on next post. For some reason I cannot upload from my work lap Top).

Am wondering if what kind of sealer to use for this application to fill in the gap ?

Also have the seal inside the strainer box pealing off. Any ideas there as well ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!!!!!

Tim,

Thanks & SRY for the delay. Had to upload pics via PhotoBucket.

1st pic is of the Fiberglass, trim seal & Concrete area. My plan is to 1, re-seal the area to keep sand from getting into the pool, 2, re-seal the concrete while looking into ways to level the concrete and re shore the concrete to prevent this in the future. One of the issues is probably when the pool was built and not prepping the area for the fiberglass shell/concrete properly. I also have a patio area just north of my Cats head.lol that was not done correctly either and is not helping the issue. Also done prior to owning the house. Just want to stop the bleeding for now. THANKS.

2nd pic is the strainer basket seal issue. Notice on the bottom of the area the seal/caulk is coming off t the seam for the different parts of the strainer assembly.

IMG_2014_zps825fe156.jpg

IMG_2016_zpsc71072b1.jpg

Problem one:

You need a french drain to remove water. A picture of the overall area would be helpful. I think your pool has subsided or the water has raised the deck. You need to get the water out and make sure the concrete deck is not resting on the pool.

Problem two:

I really have no great idea but I think may be related to the first problem Your deck and pool structure are moving independently. You can recalk or insert a sealing strip but I think you need top solve the problem of the pool and deck dancing to different songs.

Thank you !! The concrete eating on the pool is a concern. A style of French drain is in consideration and coming soon ! Hopefully this year !!!!! Will install it after or during when I get the concrete re leveled and shored up. The idea of the caulk is a bandaid for now.

Issue 2 is due to me pouring liquid pool sanitizer directly into it. Live and learn ya know.

Issue 3 is that my cat is a camera hog. Lol

Sent from the deep end using Tapatalk.

First you need to fix the crack. I use a concrete silicone to allow it to flex. The crack will always be there unless you fully replace the concrete.

Then what I did was mix up some sand concrete and fill it over the top. My last item was to use valspar sand coated paint. Up here in ND, I do not plan to replace it at all because they should have put expansion joints in the corners. This pool is 40 years old and instead I have a liner in my pool so after I fixed mine, it looks pretty darn good. If I used the pool year round, then I would maybe consider fixing it properly. For now, it has worked for years and no issues.

If you do a search online, you will see multiple posts on how others have fixed a crack similar to yours. It should give you some ideas to band aid the sucker. Mine is on a previous post as well.

Good luck and keep the fix pics coming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks ,,,

I have an idea of what product I am going to use & I did a search within the site and only found threads 2+ years old. Thought maybe someone has used a newer product with success. I will look again.

Concrete Issue,,,, I have some paver locking sand & GE Silicone 2 Concrete and masonry.

Skimmer Housing ,,,,, Am going to drain the pool just below the pool inlet then drain, dry, clean and re-seal the skimmer housing assembly. Looking for a TFP member approved silicone/sealer/caulking ect...

Side seal found in pic 1 above,, Expanding water proof foam ? Use the same TFP member approved silicone/sealer/caulk ?????

Major Repair, French drain,, I have the project started. IE blueprint, material cut list etc. Will not be able t afford t this and maybe not even next year. Idea is still to bandaid the cracks, seal and skimmer basket issue until then....

Will put all pics and repair products along with the success on here when im done for others to use for sher !!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.