My test results

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
Ok all I have right now are test strips and I know I need a better test kit.

Right now:
FC is ~3ppm
TA ~ 180
CYC ~ 30-50
pH ~ 7.8

Over the weekend I took a sample to the PS and it was close to these. I am running my nature2 (i know... i know) as a chlorinator only at this point with no mineral vessel added. The PS also told me that the CH was low and that I needed to add 5lbs of the calcium additive. I bought what they recommended and have added about a pound so far. Then I wondered if that even matters in a vinyl pool??

Calcium does not matter at all for a vinyl pool, so that was a waste of money ... you can quickly see why we do not trust pool stores ;)

Also, if that CYA is right, then you should stop using trichlor tablets that are raising your CYA even high. BUT, test strips are worthless, so who knows what your actual CYA is.

Calcium does not matter at all for a vinyl pool, so that was a waste of money ... you can quickly see why we do not trust pool stores ;)

Also, if that CYA is right, then you should stop using trichlor tablets that are raising your CYA even high. BUT, test strips are worthless, so who knows what your actual CYA is.

Yes I do understand. I keep a saltwater reef tank and have the same type of issues with the local fish shops. I just ordered the TF-100 kit, again I know the strips are crude estimates at best. I don't use those to test my tanks either.

You will be in much better shape to take control when you get the right tool for the job :goodjob:

I would add about a 1/3-1/2 bottle of bleach each evening until you get the test kit just to keep anything from going south.

You will be in much better shape to take control when you get the right tool for the job :goodjob:

I would add about a 1/3-1/2 bottle of bleach each evening until you get the test kit just to keep anything from going south.

Thanks for the info. My test kit should be here Friday and I will post the new results. In the meantime the only thing I am getting from the PS is a roller for my solar cover LOL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.