Homemade liquid chlorinator

unixfreak

May 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I am thinking about putting together a homemade chlorinator using a vented 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid for easy refill. It will use gravity to supply 12.5% bleach to the side of the skimmer. I am also planning on installing a 12v solenoid that will open and close flow (inline to the skimmer); possibly even a pinch valve. It can be wired to the pump timer or if need be, another timer all together.

I was planning on using aquarium tubing for the supply line. Maybe even hard line from the solenoid to the skimmer. I would rather hit the discharge but I don't really see an issue hitting the pumps input.

Thoughts .... suggestions?

Gravity feed? This means you'll need a "bleach tower". How close to the pool? How far? If it's outside, it will degrade from the heat...

Sounds like a neat concept... I would use something better than aquarium line that's for sure.

I am thinking about putting together a homemade chlorinator using a vented 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid for easy refill. It will use gravity to supply 12.5% bleach to the side of the skimmer. I am also planning on installing a 12v solenoid that will open and close flow (inline to the skimmer); possibly even a pinch valve. It can be wired to the pump timer or if need be, another timer all together.

I was planning on using aquarium tubing for the supply line. Maybe even hard line from the solenoid to the skimmer. I would rather hit the discharge but I don't really see an issue hitting the pumps input.

Thoughts .... suggestions?

Anything is possible. With an AGP you would have to have to be up on a deck or something. UV type irrigation tube would be your best bet. Also most solenoids are wet valves "the cheaper ones" To stand up to Sodium Hypo you really need a dry solenoid like a plast-o-matic true blue but they run several hundred. Then you can vacuum feed right into the pump. The other problem is your vacuum will change with your pump pressure. My vacuum measured with a clean filter is 67 oz a minute and 28 oz when I need to backwash. A metering valve can solve that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.