filling our new pool!

kidsluv2swim

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Hello, I just stumbled upon this board, great info here. I am currently filling our brand new 18X33 sharkline AG pool :-D . I have about another 12 inches to go before the pool is filled, I started with 2 hoses almost 12 hours ago!
I am interested in the BBB method which I read bout in pool school. However, when I bought the pool, chemicals came with the "package". I chose smart sticks, honestly I don't know why, I was not really informed other than I knew I wanted to stay away from baquacil. So seeing as though I already have ALOT of smart sticks, shock, PH down(up) can I do a combination?
also, I am hoping the electrician makes it out today so i can get the filter running, anything I should do if he does not get here?
And, as I have read here several times, I am going to get a good test kit. My "package" came with the strips which I now understand after reading this forum, will not be good enough. I would like to get one from a local store so I can have it today so I am off on a hunt!

Welcome,

You need to read a little more in "Pool School" but you have a very good beginning.....there are no misconceptions in your post.

Good News. You can use a combo of smart sticks and other chlorinating methods so just hang on to them for now...you'll be able to use them quite soon.

A good test kit is really essential to what we teach on the forum. The two that you may find locally are the Taylor K-2006 and Leslies FAS/DPD test kit. (Don't get just DPD....it wont do what you want. Get FAS/DPD as the only Leslie's kit that will work well.)

Third, (pardon the sales pitch) the kit I sell over the net will ship to you this afternoon if you order by 2:00pm EDT. Don't know where you live but 1-5 days delivery depending on how far you are from NC.

Those three kits are your best choices. I'll let others comment on the merits of each and there's an article up in "Pool School" that compares them.

Lastly, once your pool gets filled, you can put one small jug of Clorox in each evening and a couple of "smart sticks" in the skimmers. That'll sanitize and protect your pool 'til you get a kit and can get everything balanced and up to speed.

Again, welcome. You're off to a great start.

Welcome to TFP kidsluv2swim.

Go to the Home Page under “links” on the left side and click on “Trouble Free Testkits”. It includes all the tests you’ll need to maintain your pool. It’s easy to use by following the

instructions on the cover. Duraleigh’s customer service is A-1 and the kit is well worth every penny. I became a Lifetime Member here AND bought the TF-100 Testkit a week

before our pool was installed. Read as much as you can in the forums and ask questions. If you could edit your profile and put information in about your pool and equipment, it

makes is easy for others to help when you need it (look at most any post for an example). Good Luck and enjoy your new pool.

Welcome! Be sure when you add your bleach, if the filter is not running yet, that you stir real good, pardon my English, to distribute the chlorine well. Otherwise it can puddle without a pump circulating the water, and bleach out small areas where it settles. So make sure you mix it well when adding without the pump running.

BTW, I have the TF-100 and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was the best money I spent on my pool in the last 7 years. Dave was very modest....it's a great kit and since he's a member here you get the extra benefit of being able to post questions here and have it answered directly by many members who also have the kit.

Good luck, enjoy your pool!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Just wanted to say that I love my TF 100 from Duraleigh!

Okay, immediately after the original post I order the test kit from this site. I have not recieved it, but it was shipped out within an hour so it should be arriving soon! I will post results as soon as possible.

I did get to turn on the pump last night, for thr first time ever- that was very exciting and a little scary to be honest. I am new to this whole pool thing. Needless to say I am not real pleased with the help(or should I say lack of help :? ) from the pool store where I bought the pool from. They have no idea how intimidating this all is to a new pool owner. I will figure it all out in time I guess!

I too am a new pool owner and I have followed the advice here and my pool has been clear and a real joy to my family.
I too ordered the TF 100 test kit and it is SOOO much better than the strips. I can honestly say I do not see how anyone can tell what there water parameters are with a strip test. I use mine for a quick test but always use the TF100 to make sure things are in line..
It was hard for me to believe that keeping a pool so clean was so easy using super market items, but it's true.

duraleigh said:
I did get to turn on the pump last night, for thr first time ever- that was very exciting and a little scary to be honest

Are you putting in one small jug of clorox each evening?

No, the pool chemicals for getting started are all included so I am letting them balance the water. I figure, I already paid for these chemicals in the original pool price so I might as well use them.

I have added chemicals to remove the metals and increase alkalinity so far. My test kit will arrive today so I can start to make sense out of all this. I figure within a week ot two I can start with BBB. Does that sound reasonable or am I going to dig myself in a chemical hole?

My 2 cents, I have heard of companies dumping in copper algaecides (bad) and too much CYA/Stabilizer. So I'd stand there and ask what they are doing before they do it, and tell them no algaecide and what target of CYA are they dosing to?

Second, you will get algae if you don't keep a FC level in there, have they added chems yet or when are they coming?

Lastly, chems don't "remove metals" they sequester them in your water so that they can't stain your pool. It requires maintenance doses from time to time, so if you have metals, please read about them so you don't get stains in the future.

Have fun with your test kit. Don't forget your lab coat..... :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, I checked on a few things, Here is what they want me to do.
18 lbs of calcium chloride (6 lbs every 2 hours)
22 oz Backup
shock

according to the paperwork they gave me they want CYA between 30-200. The water tested 0 yesterday.
here are some results from thier test.
CYA 0
tot chlor .1
free chlor 0
ph 7
tot alkalinity 35
tot hardness 19
optimizer + 16

those results are straight from the printout, any thoughts? I know I need to get chlorine in soon. I was going to do the rest tonight. should I skip the backup?
Keep in mind, I already added pool magnet plus, clarifier, and alkalinity +.

You will probably have marginal success mixing the advice from this forum and those of a pool store or PB......in addition to furthering the confusion.

I still suggest you get a small jug of chlorine in your pool ASAP....all else can wait until you test your own water and post some meaningful results.

I would also recommend you not put any additional "free" stuff in the pool. "Free" seems to always come with a price of some kind.

kidsluv2swim said:
Okay, I checked on a few things, Here is what they want me to do.
18 lbs of calcium chloride (6 lbs every 2 hours)
22 oz Backup
shock

according to the paperwork they gave me they want CYA between 30-200. The water tested 0 yesterday.
here are some results from thier test.
CYA 0
tot chlor .1
free chlor 0
ph 7
tot alkalinity 35
tot hardness 19
optimizer + 16

those results are straight from the printout, any thoughts? I know I need to get chlorine in soon. I was going to do the rest tonight. should I skip the backup?
Keep in mind, I already added pool magnet plus, clarifier, and alkalinity +.

I would skip the 22 oz "backup shock" whatever that is... and just use liquid chlorine or plaine ole bleach. Get some in there soon, or you'll have algae on your hands. You need a 2ppm minimum every day to prevent algae. The calcium they want to add is fine. Your PH and TA are low, I assume they'll be bringing that into range? Make sure they dose for the recommended levels, see the article in pool school.

The CYA should be 30-50. I cannot believe Pool Industry People are still suggesting that anything over 90 is okay. That makes my blood boil. :rant:

I am sorry, I was un clear in my wording. Back up is an algeacide from Bioguard. then I can shock, it was not meant to go together.
My TF-100 will arrive today, If I test will I see the changes from the products that I have already added?

I will shock today, I don't want any algea!

kidsluv2swim said:
I am sorry, I was un clear in my wording. Back up is an algeacide from Bioguard. then I can shock, it was not meant to go together.
My TF-100 will arrive today, If I test will I see the changes from the products that I have already added?

I will shock today, I don't want any algea!

I see, yeah, skip the algaecide, shock your pool with bleach :goodjob:

If you added the Alk increaser your test should reveal an increase there, prob a bit on the PH too depending on what they used. Clarifier shouldn't have any impact on the water tests.

Okay, this morning I added the alkalinity increaser and now I just added some calcium chloride. After I added it I noticed it said not add calcium chloride on the same day as alkalinity increaser....oops. How bad is this???
I only added about 6 lbs of calcium chloride.....
Do I need to keep the kids out of the pool today?

I'm confused, I thought they were doing the chem additions?

Live and learn....always read directions. :mrgreen: I'm not 100% sure but I would guess it will probably just cause cloudy water, which may take a day or more to clear, not sure.

I honestly don't see why swimming would be nono'd after adding these chems....I would be more worried about them swimming if you don't have enough chlorine in there. Hopefully a more expertised pool guru will chime in about that.

Actually what I meant by "letting them balance the water" is that the chemicals are included but I actually have to add the chemicals to the pool, I just don't have to pay for them at this point, but pbviously I did pay for them indirectly when purchasing the pool.

At this point I am not going to add anyhing but shock tonight. Soun acceptable?

I didn't see what kind of shock they gave you. You need to get your CYA up so that the sun doesn't burn off all of the chlorine that you put in there. Regardless, you need to get some chlorine in there ASAP.

If the shock is dichlor then you would be chlorinating and bringing up the CYA at the same time, so hopefully that is the case.

Did the pool store give you liquid chlorine? If they didn't I would question how they expect you to maintain the pool with out it. You may want to question if they are going to be giving you stabilizer(aka CYA) as well as you need to bring it up to the 30-50 ppm range.

I would definitely skip the algaecide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.