New, England
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi. I'm looking to add salt to my non-SWG pool, but I'm just not sure what to buy.

Is there a specific type of salt product I should be buying for this? I've never owned a water softener at home, but I've seen that there are several types of salt products used for them.

Which type of product should I be using? Should I go to the pool store to buy it, or can I just pick this up at Home Depot / Walmart?

I haven't tested yet for existing salt content in my water, but I own the Taylor Salt Water Test Kit, and will be ready to buy and add salt this weekend. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Any solar salt, usually in a white or blue bag, is pure enough and has no additives. The granules are just a little bigger than the "pool" salt so it dissolves in 5 minutes instead of 1 and is a good bit cheaper ;)

Aww, too bad. My kids missed out. I dumped in the salt when no one was home. Definitely next year, if I need to add.

That answers my next question of how long to wait to swim after adding 280 lbs of salt to 25k gals of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.