Intex 2650 gph is too far from pool and too high?

sca10

Sep 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
We are just installing an 16x32 intex ultra frame. Am planning on using the 2650 gph pump and separate intex swg. We are wanting to put the equipment by the house instead of next to the pool. (Could put it closer to pool but will work much better if up by house for power, backwash, fit.) It just occurred to me that this may be a gravity fed pump--not sure. The yard slopes up towards the house so the pump will be about level with pool top, maybe a little lower. It's also about 50 feet from the pump to where the lines will divert around the pool. Plan on putting 3 hayward eyeball returns with slotted eyes,(one replaces original intex return), 1 Hayward thru wall skimmer, and 1 pool sweep(putting where original intex side wall strainer is). Will this work. I've never had an above ground pool. We may upgrade in the future to bigger equipment (I have an older 1.5 hp and big DE filter but know nothing about them so decided to just use the intex equipment that came with pool--bought swg separte. I'm worried it won't draw water well enough if it is gravity fed, and I'm concerned with length of run to pool. Help/input appreciated. Thanks

Intex pumps are low flow low head pumps and are meant to be installed next to the pool. It doesn't mean that it won't work at all where you plan only that it probably won't work very well. Flow rate is likely to be greatly reduced so the skimmer and cleaner will probably not work as well. But given the pump and filter are so small, what is the benefit to moving them so far from the pool?

We had to dig out about 16 inches deep to level pool area. Have about 15 inches along side of pool, then 4x posts and 2x8 boards as retaining wall. Backfilled with 1.5 inch gravel. No room for equipment inside retained area. The upper gravel backfilled area will have 6 inches of dirt/flower beds/grass added later--haven't done that yet and that's where the equipment would need to go. Also there is a huge rock pile along the fence for a "next project" that would make this hard to pass between the equipment and rocks. We would have to run wiring 50 feet further and that stuffs high right now and the ditch has to be 18 inches. If I put by house ditch for suction and return pipes only 6 inches deep, much closer to backwash which is opposite way from pool, nice flat are already available, and can reach power much easier and cheaper. Plus it would be out of the way instead of beside the pool in the yard/flower bed/whatever it becomes there. Just seemed to make more sense to put by house but in the end it has to work well. Has anybody else done a longer run and somewhat uphill?

Is there any reason that a pump designed for in-ground couldn't be used for above-ground?

Yes, severe overkill, but would it damage the pool or other equipment?

If OP has pump and filter designed for IG, could he/she use that and not worry about elevation?

Maybe a flow restrictor or 2?

With the pump that high in relation to the pool, you may have problems getting it to self-prime properly when it starts up.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

An in-ground pump would be fine as they are designed to be self priming ... some check valves could help.
But, the OP is talking about the cheap Intex pumps and may not be looking to spend a few $100s on an in-ground pump.

This line in the OP triggered my Q:
I have an older 1.5 hp and big DE filter but know nothing about them so decided to just use the intex equipment that came with pool

So maybe he can just plug in that equipment and sell the original on Craigslist or ebay.
Whatever, it would eliminate the worry about the elevation problem.

Just to give a follow up. We finally got the pool set up and filled yesterday. When the water finally got to the skimmer I went up to the pump area and there was water leaking from the lower pump joint where it attaches to the SWG---I was thrilled to just see water there! I hadn't even glued one of the joints so 1 minute fix. Sadly we have 3 other leaks--1 is the threaded connection to one of the Hayward returns I installed. Will have to somehow seal off the inside and unscrew the joint/put more teflon/retighten and hope for the best. 2nd leak is a glue joint below the skimmer. 3rd spot is one of the pool drain plugs. Seems to be leaking out of the plug itself---I unscrewed it from the outside and it has a steady drip coming from inside the hole. My wife actually checked the the inside rubber stoppers before filling--said they were on tight. Hopefully that one is just loose--it was after 10 p.m. by the time I got to stop last night and was DONE for the night. Turned on the pump and it hummed like a kitten. Water skimming from both skimmers (original and added Hayward) and all three jets had good pressure. I was really worried about being so far and higher than normal, but it's obviously not too high as water migrates there with skimmer gravity pressure alone! I'm taking lots of pics and will post "Everything" at some point. I've read many post of people having difficulty with Intex fittings, ground leveling, leg pad problems. We seemed to have worked many of the bugs out because of these previous posts and I'll put it all together as soon I get everything finished and past my pool/plumbing inspections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.