Has anyone taken on the care of an additional pool?

I have friends that have been to my pool a number of times and have seen pictures on social media of my kids/my back yard/ random folks in my pool pretty regularly. They are close enough friends that if she needed help w her kids at 3am, she could call me and I would come. She has always joked that if they ever buy a house with a pool that they are hiring me to tend it as they have never seen a pool as clean and sparkly as mine (thanks y'all!!!). I always said I couldn't do it unless they move to my town because pools are living beings that need tended to regularly. She called me earlier in the week to tell me that they are trying to close on a house in my town and asking me if I would consider doing their pool at least through the rest of swim season here (I am in Texas, that could be several more months). They have never had a pool and she says that she has no desire to manage one.

I could realistically stop by every week day without adding any real chaos to my life as the house will be near my daughter's school (and she is already at "optional" camps there every day - and by "optional" I mean if you don't come you can't play when schools starts). Weekends would be more challenging, but maybe I wouldn't have to go on weekends? I never considered helping someone else with their pool, so I didn't really have anything to say about it other than "ummmm, let me think about that."

Also, my pool is in ground, and she is trying to close on a house with an above ground pool (not many of those in our area). I am sure it all works about the same, but it does make me feel a little more nervous about it.

Thoughts on it?

In the famous words of your fellow Texans...wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Point them in the direction of TFP so they can learn to rely on their own knowledge of maintaining their pool. Everyone will be better off in the end and they will thank you.

I suggest that you show your friend how to do it properly and let them do it. Once they get the right test kit and the right know-how, they will see how easy it is. I don't think that it would be in either party's best interest for you to do it for them.

Note: This is just my opinion. Only you can really decide what the best thing is for you. You have to do what works for you.

I suggest that you show your friend how to do it properly and let them do it. Once they get the right test kit and the right know-how, they will see how easy it is. I don't think that it would be in either party's best interest for you to do it for them.

Note: This is just my opinion. Only you can really decide what the best thing is for you. You have to do what works for you.
+1

Remember, No good deed goes unpunished

Buy them a TF-100 as a housewarming gift and get them started. Then do phone support with occasional visits.

I helped a lady 2 hours from me keep her pool going while her husband was overseas for 18 months. I spent about an hour with her to get her started and then she called me every other day for a few weeks and then once a week after that. Actually pretty easy to do if they can do the testing.

My neighbor purchased a pool this year. They had seen my water and asked for my help. I did not hesitate at all First thing I did was have them get the TF-100 before they even got the pool That made life easier. For the first few tests I had them watch while I did the testing, backwashed the sand filter, adjusted pH and TA. Now her husband is gone for 6 weeks, and she now is comfortable enough to do it by herself. I showed her this website, and the pool calculator. I received an email from her this morning - she picked up her borax and some more acid and wants to add berates to her pool, but is a little "afraid" of the acid. I understand that, and will add that for her this evening. I see no reason for you not to jump in and help your friend. It will make her a lot more comfortable with the testing and maintenance. Plus, you'll feel good about having helped someone.

EDIT: I mentioned that I had them order the TF-100. That was the condition under which I agreed to help. I told them I would not manage my own pool without the TF-100, and would not attempt to manage someone else's pool without one. So they had to agree to that, or they were on their own. Well, I would have helped anyway, but made them sign a waiver. :)

All the above post have some relevance depending on how much you want to and can help.

However this quote would make me think real hard about helping.
They have never had a pool and she says that she has no desire to manage one.
Depending on how strongly she feels about truly managing the pool herself, you may be taking on this gratis. Personally I would not want to be someone's free pool boy.

If she is willing to do the majority of the work once trained, that's a different situation all together. I help with about 4 pools regularly, but the owners do all the work. I help with testing at times and answering questions.

I think you can help someone get started or dealing with issues but you already know you can't do everything for them properly. You only need to ask yourself one question. Can you keep your own pool looking as nice as it is if you only went in your backyard one day a week? That will tell you whether you can manage someone else's pool up to the standards you've developed for your own pool.

Buy them a TF-100 as a housewarming gift and get them started.
A fantastic idea!

All the above post have some relevance depending on how much you want to and can help.

However this quote would make me think real hard about helping. Depending on how strongly she feels about truly managing the pool herself, you may be taking on this gratis. Personally I would not want to be someone's free pool boy.

If she is willing to do the majority of the work once trained, that's a different situation all together. I help with about 4 pools regularly, but the owners do all the work. I help with testing at times and answering questions.
I missed this when reading through. In that case, I definitely agree. I wouldn't do it anyways. As they say, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life. Help her start, teach her the way, and steer her to TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks yall. I talked to her this morning. She is willing to pay me and if I don't do it she is going to hire the local pool co to come and take care of it. I do understand her position. She works extended hours and has 2 busy tweens. She hires out a lot of her household type chores now (yard clean up from dog, lawn care, house cleaning) and has the same attitude about her pool. I am going to think about it before I make a decision. I hate to see her spending $200/250 a month for cruddy pool service.

If she is a friend, I'd let her hire the pool company to handle the pool and I'd go by once in a while to help a little.
If you hire out to her, she most likely expect you to drop everything and come help her every time anything happens to the pool. Even on the weekends.

You'll be more likely to keep the friend if you let someone else take care of the pool on a daily basis.

Having said all that, If you're interested in starting a pool service business, this may be a good place to start. You'll get first hand experience in how it is to try and maintain someone else's pool.

You may not mind doing it at first, but I'm sure it would get old and tiring really quick. As much as it sucks to see someone spend money unnecessarily on subpar services, sometimes that's what people would rather do. If I were you, I'd let her hire the pool company and you can oversee what they do to help minimize any damage they may cause.

If her pool service experience is like that of others we've seen on the forum, she'll likely get frustrated with spending a lot of money on a pool that's slightly cloudy, occasionally green, and sometimes unavailable. Maybe then she'll be more open to you teaching her how to do it herself. And if a DYI pool seems overwhelming, maybe you could teach the whole family and they could take turns testing, dosing and cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.