Any ideas to hide solar cover and reel when not in use?

danwis

Jan 5, 2008
After going two years without one, I finally invested in a solar cover and reel. One thing I didn't realize is how big the thing is and how conspicuous it becomes in the landscape. I've spent a lot of time making the pool area look nice, but now the reel just sticks out like a sore thumb. My reel is on wheels, but the pool area is fenced in and not huge so there is no out of the way area I can roll it to. Any ideas on how to hide it or at least make it not stick out so much? I really like the efficiency it adds to heating, etc., but it just seems to darn ugly compared to everything else around the pool.

My best suggestion would be a cover. I'm thinking about a tan cloth cover with magnets sewn in the edges to hold it together when I get a new blanket next season. Chose the tan to match my deck and fence as closely as possible.

We've discussed this before on other threads, but another option would be (if you ever decide to ditch the reel) cutting the cover to make it easier to manage, and folding it up and moving it out of sight when it's not in use. That's what I do, and it's fairly trouble-free. There are other posts in the archives dealing with ideas for this, but I think I'll probably stick to this method.

sevver said:
Plastic ivy, just drape it around it and it will blend in and look natural.

I keep mine folded up in a rubbermaid thing with a hinge up lid and doors on the front.

What a great idea!!!

I also am thinking about getting a cover, but the only ones I can find online are called "winter covers" and come in a dark green color. Does anyone think there would there be any problems using this year round?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.