Pass code with single floor drain?

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Jason -

"Many Many pools work just fine without a floor drain ... keeping it / changing it / sealing it are all valid solutions. Although keeping it as is may not pass code."

I'm remodeling my pool and have a single drain and it isn't equalized with anything.

Will it pass code to T it with just one skimmer? It would be tough to install a second floor drain to tie it to (in my situation).

I have no idea ...

My pool has a single floor drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump. I recently found another wall suction port for a waterfall that added to a 3-way as another suction route (due to limitations of single 1.5" pipe).

I think you can buy drain covers that are compliant.

I had no inspection for my remodel, so I am not sure mine passes code or not. I just know that how I operate it, there would have to be multiple "failures" to happen before there was an entrapment danger ... like someone moving the valves to only draw from the skimmer AND the water level dropping below the skimmer level such that the float diverter closes to force most suction from the floor AND someone swimming down onto the floor drain AND the cover no doing its job.

I'd call the building department (after blocking caller ID) and tell them you're looking at buying a house, and then lay out the dilemma. They'll let you know. Someone will say something like, "Just buy the redesigned cover." And then you'll know. Note the guy's name, date and time, too.

Under the new(ish) rules, a main drain needs to either be more than 3' in some dimension (i.e. slot drains), be dual with the two drains at least 3' apart, or have a SVRS system. All of that in addition to having a compliant cover.

Existing residential pools don't have to met code, but no contractor is allowed to do any kind of construction/refurb on the pool without also fixing non-compliant drains so they are compliant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.