Advice needed - Is this aglae? Pics & #'s included

Jul 7, 2014
PC, FL
I recently got a SWG for my above ground pool (in sig). After adding the salt to the pool algae grew overnight on the bottom (or what I think is algae). I drained the pool, scrubbed the pool with a water/bleach mixture and filled again. No issues with just chlorine in the pool, but once I added the salt the algae came back again. However, the algae wasn't AS bad the second time around. I started the SLAM process about 3 days ago to get rid of the algae. I have been scrubbing/vacuuming the pool, as well as clearing debris and cleaning the filter. The "algae" on the bottom of the pool breaks up very easily when I go over it with a scrubber/vacuum. Almost like a powder would if you blew on it.

I read through the pool school and used the SLAM FC numbers for a CYA of 75. I recently saw this thread and bumped my FC numbers up to the Yel/MstrdShock numbers (the pool store told me it was Mustard Algae). I have a Taylor K-2006 kit, so I'm using my numbers from that and not the pool store numbers. I started the SLAM process a day before getting the Taylor kit in the mail, so I don't have accurate numbers from the 19th of July. The kit I was using didn't have accurate enough tests.

Numbers:
pH was balanced to 7.4 prior to starting SLAM. CYA is at 75.

20 July
6pm:
FC 8.6 (added 11% chlorine from poolmath to get to 30.5)
CC 1
CYA 75

21 July
10am
28.5 FC (added 11% chlorine from poolmath to bring back to 30.5)
CC 1
CYA 75

1:30pm
27 FC (added 11% chlorine from poolmath to bring back to 30.5)
CC 1
CYA 75

7:50pm
24.5 FC (added 11% chlorine from poolmath to bring back to 30.5)
CC 1
CYA 75

22 July
9:40am
FC 27 (added 11% chlorine to bring up to 43 for Mustard shock levels)
CC 1
CYA 75

2:45pm
FC 19 This is after adding enough 11% to bring it up to 43. (Added 11% chlorine to bring back to 43 per poolmath)

4:00pm
31.5 FC
.5 CC
CYA 75

I'm very worried something is wrong. Since starting SLAM on the 19th I've used almost 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine. Seems like a lot for a small above ground pool that has clear water.

Questions:

1. Is the stuff in the below pictures algae?
2. Am I correct to continue the SLAM process?
3. Any recommendations/suggestions/comments etc. on what I should be doing or am doing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stuff on bottom of pool first time I added salt (I drained pool and started over)
20140714_112309_zpsaui8umx4.jpg

20140714_112324_zpsyzkhvfbc.jpg

CURRENT stuff on bottom of pool:
20140722_140025_zps9ff99d40.jpg

20140722_140054_zpsce2422b0.jpg

What salt did you add? Almost seems like it had debris in it if these stops just suddenly appeared after adding it.

How much powder did you use for the last test (expected to be up around 43)? I am wondering if you did not use enough powder.

What salt did you add? Almost seems like it had debris in it if these stops just suddenly appeared after adding it.

How much powder did you use for the last test (expected to be up around 43)? I am wondering if you did not use enough powder.

I used Morton Pool Salt from Walmart. Says it is meant for pools with SWG, fast disolving, high purity.

I used 2 scoops, per the instructions, for the test. I even ran the test twice because the number came back so low. Both tests came back with similar numbers.

-- Edit --

Tested again at 4pm
31.5 FC
.5 CC

I'm thinking about draining it again and trying a different pool salt.

Wow, I have the exact same stains in my pool. I have brushed and brushed and even taken the green kitchen scrubbies and scrub that stuff. I am sorry to say that I cannot get them all out. I slammed for 2 weeks and scrubbed on them. My water is crystal clear, I can pass an OCLT, and I never have any CC. But I cannot get rid of the stains/algae. I keep my FC and pH proper and they grow ever so slowly. every two weeks or so I get the green scrubbies and knock a bunch of them down. They particularly grow on the wrinkles. I am getting a new pool over the winter and I am going to do it to the nines!!

They aren't stains. It comes up easily when i scrub and vacuum the pool.

I don't think it's dirt, otherwise it would always appear. It only shows up when i add the salt.

Jblizzle, What do you mean by battery powered vacuum? Can you give me a link to what your talking about?

I've decided to drain the pool again and try different salt. My son is dying to go swimming.

That totally looks like the fine dirt that the Intex filter WILL NOT clear. :/ I know this 1st hand.

You should look into a Pool Blaster vac. I don't personally use one, but I'd say they seem to be the best of all the handheld vacs I researched before I got my Pool Rover Jr.

Salt is no different than rocks, it can have dirt in it as it is a naturally mined mineral. Either way, that dirt is going to collect over time in your pool. If you pass an OCLT with the SWCG off, it isn't algae/bio-organic... it's dirt.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, to save yourself reagent when SLAMing that high, use a 5ml sample where one drop equals 1ppm FC. Also, you should be able to successfully test with one BIG HEAPING scoop. This should be enough, even at your FC. At least try and see. Worst case, a healthy heaping scoop, plus a tiny nible of another.

For normal, daily testing, you certainly only need 1 level scoop at your regular FC level for your SWCG, since your normal levels are only 3.5 - 5.5 ppm. A slightly heaped scoop is only needed at, say, 10-12+ ppm FC, ie. the lower cya shock levels when SLAMing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.