New pool and Saltwater System advice

Jul 13, 2014
Fresno, California
Hi guys,
So I finally have done all the dirty work leveled and put up my pool, patched the darn wall liner that had a pin size needle hole, ran my pump for 24 hours with the recommended salt. Now it's time to fire up the Saltwater System. I know in reading the manual and a bit around here that I'll need some CYA to get going, according to my manual I'll need 1lb = 100lbs of salt. The size of our pool is 15x48 and that's how much salt was required.

So my question is is there a certain type of CYA I need (this isn't just regular bleach right)? I haven't hit up the store yet but looking online there is basic Chlorine Stabilizer and then there is Saltwater Stabilizer so which one would I need? Is there anything else I should dump in as I first start up the Saltwater system?

I have basic 3-way test strips and also copper test strips that came with my SWG that I'm hoping can get me by this last month and a half of summer. I have been spending left and right but do want a better kit next year. We were really undecided on getting a pool or not and kind of just got one at the last minute.

If there is any tips or advice on anything I need to get at the store that you guys can give me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

J

You want CYA - Cyanuric Acid - Look on the list of ingredients/contents it should be 99.9% or 100%. It's grandular, don't spend the money on liquid.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
Ok called my local pool supply store and they said they don't even carry it only in liquid, or maybe they didn't want to sell it to me. They said they have it but that's what they use to do their own testing. They also said they don't recommend a saltwater system and sounded like they wanted to push strictly chemicals on me, guessing that's where they make their money and it keeps them in business. They did offer to test my water so maybe I'll do that if I can't get things under control myself.

Anyway my local Home Depot ran out but Walmart says they have it so I'm headed there right now. Is this what I'm looking for this Chlorine Stabilize in a solid form? I would put it in a sock over my water in-line with the pump and SWG running correct? Also is it true it'd be best not test my water until a full 24hrs reading THIS thread here it seems kind of conflicting on wether I can test right away or not (still am undecided when the testing comes into play)?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Mate-Stabilizer-Conditioner/36787530

BTW: I hope I didn't make a mistake without adding CYA beforehand but my waters been sitting 24+ hrs in salt as I had to fix a patch so I just turned on the SWG. The good thing is I didn't get any low/high salt error codes. I am going to add the stabilizer ASAP. Thanks!

J

What are the levels currently? How does the water look?
I took my first tests today. I am no expert but by judging them my Chlorine levels look VERY low and the TA looks pretty high. The copper and PH looks to be spot on. What do you think? The PoolCalculator says I'd need about 32oz of bleach that sound about right? The TA says id need some "acid" to decrease it but doesn't say how much?

2u73myx.jpg

2gydmvc.jpg

Here's all the stuff I've added so far and how long things been running. The water looks crystal clear and beautiful me and the kids can't wait to jump in but the wait continues :eek::

1lb CYA 96% (per my instruction manual couldn't find anything stronger)
100lbs Pool Salt (per my instruction manual for 15x48 4440 gallon pool)
SWG (it's only ran 4 hours yesterday and now is set to start up anytime soon for day 2 it's on a timer)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.