Check my work please - wife wants a clear pool!

chumbley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2007
Doylestown, PA
20K gallon, gunite / plaster pool, 2.5hp pump, sand filter. I use trichlor tabs supplemented by bleach during swim season.

Current readings are FC 3.5, CC 0, pH 7.6, Alk 100, Cal 170 and cya < 20 (all measured using PS233 kit).

The pool remains a bit cloudy (hard to distinguish items on the bottom of the pool). I flocked and backwashed with no change (and didn't really expect one).

I believe my FC is too low, and cya too low as well. So I added about 1.5 lbs of CYA into the skimmer and broadcast about 2 lbs of 48% cal-hypo granules into the pool.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks...
Jeff

Your chemistry (and the changes you are making) sounds okay, and I wouldn't expect it to be the cause of the cloudiness. Wait a week and retest your CYA to see where it is. Just speculating: If your chlorine isn't staying constant, that could allow algae to start, then when the chlorine comes back up, it can't kill the algae. Your 2.5HP pump is very big for a 20K gallon pool unless you have water features, spa etc.. If your sand filter is undersized the pump could be blowing the water through the sand, which would result in cloudiness. I'm also a little surprised that your CYA is so low if you use trichlor normally. Some pools seem to lose it over the winter, so maybe that's your deal.

The cloudiness started before I kicked up the chlorine - I think because it was too low (and almost no stabilizer). We have had a good deal of rain here over the last few weeks. And it's pollen time.

This AM I am now at CYA 40, FC 11.0. pH down to 7.2. At this CYA level, I think I will need to add a bit more Cal-Hypo this AM to keep the action rolling throughout the day, and retest again tonight.

I use the trichlor in an inline feeder, and it consumes it very slowly during the winter months. That combined with the spa and the water feature (waterfall from the spa into the pool) that runs whenever the pump is on tends to aeriate the water a good deal. That all explains the large pump, and the sand filter is also very large (not sure what size).

Jeff

It sounds like you are on the right track. The only thing I'd suggest is to run the filter 24/7 to speed things along if you aren't already.

Yes, running 24x7 (filter and polaris both). Have been for a few days now. Before that I think I was on a 10 hr cycle (running at night). Pools is definately clearer this AM. I added another 1.5 lbs of CalHypo to keep the FC levels up today.

Jeff

Everything is looking MUCH better now. Thanks for the inputs...

Here are my current numbers:

FC = 7.5 (coming down from shock levels)
CC = 0
pH = 7.4
TA = 100
CH = 170
CYA = 40

I think my pH and TA are OK (please confirm), and CYA is right where I wanted it. With that CYA level, I'm going to strive for a normal FC of 3 to 4.

My problem appears to be the CH levels. I have a gunite / plaster pool, and these levels have always been a bit low. What's the target number (300?) and what is the best way to raise CH?

Jeff

25k gunite / plaster pool / spa / water feature
2.5 hp pump / 600lbs sand filter / gas heater / polaris

chumbley said:
Everything is looking MUCH better now. Thanks for the inputs...

Here are my current numbers:

FC = 7.5 (coming down from shock levels)
CC = 0
pH = 7.4
TA = 100
CH = 170
CYA = 40

I think my pH and TA are OK (please confirm), and CYA is right where I wanted it. With that CYA level, I'm going to strive for a normal FC of 3 to 4.

My problem appears to be the CH levels. I have a gunite / plaster pool, and these levels have always been a bit low. What's the target number (300?) and what is the best way to raise CH?

Jeff

25k gunite / plaster pool / spa / water feature
2.5 hp pump / 600lbs sand filter / gas heater / polaris

Hi, Jeff,

Not only do your numbers look pretty good, I'll bet your water is looking good, too.

pH and TA are perfect, good CYA and you're Cl target of 3-5ppm is excellent.

Consider raising your CH by chlorinating with Calcium Hypochlorite. It's readily available at the pool store, easy to use (probably about a cup a day) and will very slowly raise your CH to a target of 200-400ppm. It may take a good portion of the Summer for it to get where you want and then you can stop using it and return to bleach or an SWG if you have one.

Nice work getting your water in balance....enjoy your pool :lol:

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I figured the Cal Hypo would help on the calcium, so that's what I used to shock the pool up to get rid of the cloudiness. I'll continue to use it rather than bleach for now.

Thanks for the forum, the feedback, and the place to get good test kits (mine will be on order soon - the PS233 is running out of supplies).

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.