TFPC is Actually Kind of Boring...

Pflugerpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
Before TFP, there was always SOME kind of drama - the pool was green, the pool was cloudy, the pH had dived again, the chlorine was at zero, whoops, there's the algae again!

Now, since adopting the TFPC method, it's just nothing but sparkling clear water! I test daily, I know right where my numbers should be and how to keep them there. I no longer have to worry about conflicting advice from pool store clerks and other websites, or trying to chase down a sale on the latest miracle chemical that was supposed to solve all my problems.

I'm not quite where I want to be on my CYA, but I know how to get there, it will just take time to do another partial water change. In the meantime, I know what my FC should be to accommodate the CYA levels I've got to deal with.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, THANKS, guys (and gals). The most exciting thing I've had to do to my pool lately is shop for a new leaf rake! And that's good.

When you reach this point, it's time to start answering some questions. You've obviously mastered testing and using poolmath. You can reply to those no problem.

You'll find out the truth of the adage that "You never really understand something until you have to explain it to someone else."

Yes, here at TFP, once we have mastered the art of pool care it leaves us free for other pursuits (or worries!) Answering questions is a great way to spend some of your new free time.

I've been laughing that I need to go find someone's green pool to clean up. Then a friend who's been trying TFP said she had a green tinted pool and wanted help. It's something right?! LOL

Heck yes, if you have friends who are willing to learn. Lead them to that water!!! I have a buddy who'd rather drown in algae before trying the TFPC method. I gotta laugh, or else I just yell swear words. Talk about a great way to get thrown out of Chuckie Cheese's.

I try to answer at least a few questions a day. I enjoy helping others, which might explain my profession.

This forum has been so useful to me and saved me so much aggravation, time, and money, that I feel like it's only right that I contribute something back toward the cost of running and maintaining such a valuable resource. So, I'm clicking over now and becoming a supporter... it's a small price to pay for good advice and useful ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This forum has been so useful to me and saved me so much aggravation, time, and money, that I feel like it's only right that I contribute something back toward the cost of running and maintaining such a valuable resource. So, I'm clicking over now and becoming a supporter... it's a small price to pay for good advice and useful ideas.
Thanks for your support. :goodjob:
I wish there were more members who would so quickly realize the value of this free forum ... or realize it at all and not take it for granted ;)

Out of pure curiosity, what are his/her reasons behind their refusal? Just stubbornness?

Well in my case, my buddy (with a troublesome pool) will not listen to me for two reasons. Number one, he is certain he knows more than me about everything in the universe. Secondly, he figures there is no way that I could maintain a pool better than the professionals at a pool store. My favourite quote of his: "You still have to shock your pool every week." My response: "I've never shocked my pool'". To make matters worse, they were down for a visit one night last summer and his kid jumped into my pool and shouted "This is the best water ever!!". The dad didn't like that, and his kid hasn't swam in my pool since!!! If he'd give in he'd be much better off.

Heck yes, if you have friends who are willing to learn. Lead them to that water!!! I have a buddy who'd rather drown in algae before trying the TFPC method. I gotta laugh, or else I just yell swear words. Talk about a great way to get thrown out of Chuckie Cheese's.

I try to answer at least a few questions a day. I enjoy helping others, which might explain my profession.

Shes willing to listen and wanting to learn more. She just has a small pool, it's 1700 gallons. She stayed on top of the SLAM with me the days and it's almost clear!! (a whole $6 worth of bleach so far! LOL)

Well in my case, my buddy (with a troublesome pool) will not listen to me for two reasons. Number one, he is certain he knows more than me about everything in the universe. Secondly, he figures there is no way that I could maintain a pool better than the professionals at a pool store. My favourite quote of his: "You still have to shock your pool every week." My response: "I've never shocked my pool'". To make matters worse, they were down for a visit one night last summer and his kid jumped into my pool and shouted "This is the best water ever!!". The dad didn't like that, and his kid hasn't swam in my pool since!!! If he'd give in he'd be much better off.

I have a family member that is just like that!! ! LOL I helped them open it and a month later get a message that they've done nothing(nothing at all!!!!!) and it's turning green... they want to swim tomorrow! Haha. Nope not touching it. We had it all figured out how much bleach to add every day all the details and they did nothing. So now have fun at the pool store! *giggles*

I know what you mean. When I got home from a 2 1/2 week vacation, I had a little bit of algae. I had a blast scrubbing my walls and SLAMing my pool. It felt awesome to have the necessary info to raise and maintain my chlorine level without buying magical potions. Now I'm back to sparkly perfect pool doldrums. Sigh...what's a girl to do now. I guess I'll have to make a drink and go work on my tan. :p

Number one, he is certain he knows more than me about everything in the universe. Secondly, he figures there is no way that I could maintain a pool better than the professionals at a pool store.

That is pretty similar to my sister-in-law...her response when I made some tiny comment is "oh so you work at a pool store now huh?" Whatever...not my money. My bro says they use these packs of chlorine (containing trichlor) and I ran the numbers and they are paying 4 times as much for these packs as just getting buckets of trichlor tabs. They also do a weekly boost/shock/whatever thing...and a weekly phos free thing...and sometime algaecide and lord knows what else. They were even complaining this year that the chlorine is used up a lot faster and they have to the blast/shock thing a lot more and it still sometimes goes green and so they have to do more algaecide and more phosfree. It seems like their CYA is up to the point that the pool is on pool store life support...hopefully next season it reaches a breaking point to let me help them. =p

Number one, he is certain he knows more than me about everything in the universe.... To make matters worse, they were down for a visit one night last summer and his kid jumped into my pool and shouted "This is the best water ever!!". The dad didn't like that, and his kid hasn't swam in my pool since!!! If he'd give in he'd be much better off.

Pride is such a viciously hungry god, isn't it? So so very very sad. :/

I'll pray for your friend. :)

Thanks for your support. :goodjob:
I wish there were more members who would so quickly realize the value of this free forum ... or realize it at all and not take it for granted ;)

jblizzle,
I can't afford to contribute money at this stage in my life, so instead, I try to help out as much as I can, giving back with the knowledge I have so gratefully learned here from these fine forum members and Mods.
Sweat equity work? :)

You all are kinda like family, so I feel a little insight is in order as to my disappearance these past 10mo or so.
I was more absent this past year due to an onslaught of continued health problems, to name a few; kidney stone surgery (months and months of crippling pain prior), major sleep problems, panic disorder (totally new to me... SCARY!) caused by a pesky medication side effect no one caught until my non-Md friend figured it out, etc.. Who knew medication could mess you up THAT bad, right? Lol

But I'm doing a lot better now, feeling pretty normal and just digging out of the backlog from my life being on hold forever. :)
Trying to give back as much as I can right now. :D

You guys are awesome! I tell everyone about this forum. :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have a friend with similar sentiment. His wife just shakes her head in despair.

They have been having problem after problem since the pool was built 3 years ago. My friend has been blaming it all on the PB. Anyways.....

Couple weeks ago, he left town for business for a few weeks. No sooner than he was on the plane, his wife calls me and says "Dave, get your @** over here and fix this $*&^ pool before he gets back!!!" HAHA.. so I did. It was cloudy with algae behind the light and in the autofill and the aerator nozzles and in the waterfall pipe, and all the water parameters were way out of whack.

I got some more TF100 refills, slammed it in 4 days and taught her how to maintain it by TFP. She has fired the pool boy and sworn never ever again to go in a pool store except to cuss them out (again) and now has a beatutiful sparkly pool.

I usually buy my "bleach"/chlorine at Lowes. I usually see someone in there perusing the pucks and potions. As I load my bottles into my cart I ask them if they have ever used this amazingly cheap elixir? They ask what is it? I tell them it is liquid chlorine! Better than the pucks! I got some TFP business cards and I hand one to them and tell them there is a free website that teaches how to use this strange yet perfect elixir and they should check it out. They look at the card and I tell them to check it out because my pool has never been prettier or easier to take care of. If they start the barrage of questions I answer a few and tell them to check it out and wish them luck.
I stop at Academy sports about once a week and wander through the pool section to see if there are any new toys for the granddaughters on clearance. There is always someone there too looking at the solid chlorine. Same thing, Hand them a card and tell them it couldn't be easier or cheaper, and that they should check it out.
I think if you email the TF testkit website they will send you a few business cards that you can hand out. That's where I got mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.