PH still rising

Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
So pool is 40 days old, I'm heading on vacation this's weekend and need to keep PH in check while I'm away. It will rise from 7.5 to 8+ in a couple of days if MA isn't added daily. What can I do to keep it somewhat stable while away and second how long before the PH balances itself out....at least within reason where I'm not adding MA every day or so.

Thanks

BTW the #'s just in case they're needed

FC 7
CC 0
TA 100
PH 7.5
CYA 60 - bringing this up slowly since we just added salt one week ago
CH 220

Thanks

How long are you going to be gone?

Every pool is unique on the pH rise. Brushpup and I have the same brand and model plaster (different color), yet we had entirely different experiences with pH rise.

You can use trichlor tabs while you're away as they will add acidity as well as FC and CYA. Just don't use any more than you need based on your final CYA target.

If you have absolutely no option for a neighbor or relative to check and add acid, I'd bring the pH down to 7.2, put in some tabs. This means that your FC will be high if you leave the SWG on as normal, but you'd probably rather have it elevated while you're gone rather than have it turned down, then tabs run out and then it's too low.

Just my thoughts....

One week will be gone. Will have a house/pet sitter but she's young and not a pool person so wouldn't want her testing, or adding MA. I guess I could buy some PH down and just have her add a cup a day or so. I'll try that the next couple of days and see if it stays relatively level.

Thanks.

I was thinking something of the sort, dry acid. Maybe in a sock like we do with CYA... try your method, see how that works for a cpl days. be careful to make sure the powder doesn't drop and sit on the bottom of the pool though...that won't be good for the plaster.

The Trichlor tabs will help with the pH rise, but it may/may not be enough. I can't remember the pH effect of the tabs. I don't remember it being overwhelmingly strong though...it's been a few yrs.

The trichlor tabs are acidic and will help keep pH lower. If you turn off the SWG, not having that aeration will also help keep pH down. Then the house/pool sitter could simply add bleach daily. Much easier to do than add acid.

As mentioned, if you lower the pH to about 7.2 and apply the above, I think you might be okay for a week. You need to tweak this idea to your situation.

You can calculate the amount of CYA that would be added using PoolMath "effects of adding chemicals" section.

Just another idea....

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out :smile:

Another option is to have a pool person stop by mid-week and adjust the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.