Intex 635T pump leaks

Jul 22, 2014
New Smyrna Beach
Hi - just a bought an 18x48 above ground Intex pool and went to hook up pump. As soon as I open the valves from the pool to bleed the air out of the pump, water starts pouring out of the bottom of the pump - non stop,

it also leaks when the pump is running - is this a defective pump, or am I missing something?

I also have a leak at the 1 of the plunger valves too - when it's open only,

not sure how to proceed - thanks in advance!

18x48 Intex metal frame pool
Intex 635T Filter pump

Welcome to TFP!

Can you unhook the hoses from your pump and turn it over? What you are looking for is O-rings in every connection between the pump and filter. The snap rings that hold it all together are removable, if you are very careful.

For the plunger valve, the cap that the handle comes through screws on. Quite often they are left loose at the factory. Try to tighten the leaky one a bit.

Once you have the leaks fixed, you might consider upgrading your cartridge to a Filbur FC-3710 or Unicel C-4706. I think you will find as have so many others, that the Intex branded filters can't do the job.

Ok, sorry. They seem to have updated from the older versions with the tubes underneath.

Yes, you will have to take all the covers off, and check the tubes between the pump and filter.

That big nut on the bottom of the filter housing will probably need to be removed to replace any missing O-rings.

However, since you just bought it, see if the place you got it from will honor the warranty and replace the pump.

If they will, see if they would be willing to replace it with the 633T, as long as you pay the price difference. If they do, the Filbur filter would be FC-3752 or Unicel C-5315. The 633T is the 2500 gph cartridge set.

Welcome to TFP!

Can you unhook the hoses from your pump and turn it over? What you are looking for is O-rings in every connection between the pump and filter. The snap rings that hold it all together are removable, if you are very careful.

For the plunger valve, the cap that the handle comes through screws on. Quite often they are left loose at the factory. Try to tighten the leaky one a bit.

Once you have the leaks fixed, you might consider upgrading your cartridge to a Filbur FC-3710 or Unicel C-4706. I think you will find as have so many others, that the Intex branded filters can't do the job.

As one who tried the better cartridges in an effort to try to maintain my pool with the Intex cartridge style filter, I would recommend if your situation allows it, to switch to the Intex 2650 gph 16" sand filter. Or another brand that's compatible meeting or exceeding those specs.

While the better cartridges did clog faster indicating they were catching finer particles, you will also still have the issue of rapidly diminishing flow, poor end seals, and constantly cleaning filter cartridges. Upgrading to the sand filter has made my pool ownership more enjoyable, and maintenance so much easier.

I only bring up because trying the better cartridges only ended up being an additional waste of time, money, and effort before moving on to the correct solution, which was upgrading to the sand filter.

Yes - I got the snap ring off, and there's no O-ring or gasket between the pump housing and filter housing - they are both flat surfaces that are pressed and held together by just the snap ring - that's it,

I may just take it back - unless there's an easy fix,

thanks,

there should have been a thin flat rubber gasket in between the two flats. That seems to be a factory defect.

Check your local hardware stores, they may have a thin rubber ring that would work.

If you don't want to bother with the plumbing section search, your best option would be to take it back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.