Video showing how clear your pool can be!

Awesome!

My kids are having a blast in our newly-opened pool, too. We have just about the same equipment, and I'm on the TFP method too, using Pool Shock 12.5% bleach and monitoring daily. I can't believe how clear and clean our water is staying. I do have two suction-side inlets (bottom drain and skimmer), so that probably is helping the circulation and filtering. I leave my 2-speed pump on Low Speed most of the time, and the filter and skimmer does the rest.

Couldn't be happier so far!

Spectacular Kris! My water has been just as clear since I filled it last summer! TFPC ROCKS! :cool:

Gotta love it. My wife was skeptical, but she has been blown away by the ease of keeping this pool up. Which reminds me...I gotta make a bleach run today.

Isn't it AMAZING? Bet it looks like glass on a sunny day, and empty at night under the light of the moon. :D

I'd love to see you do a video on a bright sunny day. :D
What video camera did you use? GoPro?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have an older Kodak Playsport. It does the job, but when water gets in the mic, it distorts the sound a bit.

Seems crazy. My in laws have a pool and they go by the pool store. Theirs was crystal clear for the first half of the season. Then we had about 3 days of rain. They took the cover off yesterday and the bottom was starting to turn green. I took the cover off mine and it was just as clear as it was 3 days ago. I tried to tell them when I first started this that I was going to use bleach and they gave me a real hard time about it. Saying it would bleach my liner and cause damage to everything. The only thing i see fading right now is my rubber duck thermometer....And that would probably happen with any chemicals.

Only thing i've had to do is add bleach. PH has stayed between 7.2 and 7.5. TA stays around 100-110. Add about 40oz of 12.5% a day and i'm good.

I even used a puck or two while taking a trip last week and everything stayed like it should have. I needed to add some CYA anyways so i figured why not use the free pucks they gave me at the beginning of the season.

Thanks to all on this site who helped me get started. Hopefully more videos will be coming soon.

Kris77 -

I am also using the TFP system and couldn't be happier. I filled my pool with my normal city water, and have had great success. PH was 7.2 - 7.5 and TA was 110 right from the hose. I haven't had to add anything to adjust it. I then added enough CYA to bring it to 50-60, and it's been smooth sailing since.

My pool seems to like a "diet" of about 26-32 oz of 12.5% Pool Shock (bleach) to keep the FC up around 7 to 8. I'm curious why your pool seems to like about 40 oz daily? Do you like to keep your FC higher? Or maybe a heavier swim load? I'm curious because your pool is a little smaller in volume than mine, I would expect you to need a little less 12.5% than I do....hope I'm not missing something and not adding enough to mine!

Augie56,

I would say you're losing about 1.5-2ppm FC per day, and Kris77 is losing about 2.5ppm per day.

The OP either has a lower cya, as you're higher than most here, but well within recommended levels, or has more bather load, like you suspected.

I'd say you're both doing REALLY GOOD on your FC loss, assuming the weather and water are quite warm, and your pools get good amounts of sun where you are. :D

Awesome!

My kids are having a blast in our newly-opened pool, too.
Dang, having a blast in such a cold summer! We haven't been in the pool since early June. Other than the last 2 days, I don't think we've been at 80°. Water temp isn't going to recover with just 2 days of 85 and close to 90°. I haven't looked, but judging from having my hand in the water yesterday, it was 88° outside and water temp was probably 72°.

....using Pool Shock 12.5% bleach and monitoring daily.
Austins? Love that stuff. It's a steal at $3.89/gallon. I don't know if you get Austins out your way, it's a local western PA company. Gallon jugs of 5.25% is just $1.89 at a little local hardware store and the 12.5% Pool Shock is $3.89, or I think might be a few pennies less than that. It ends up the same price per unit of chlorine whether I buy the bleach or Pool Shock, but sure makes it easier to use the 12.5%.

And love the video in the thread creator. My water is crystal clear, but the filter isn't doing a very good job of catching the sediment. I vacuum and it's back the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear ya about the cool summer, although me and my kids don't seem to mind too much.

My wife, on the other hand, is a baby and only went in yesterday when it was sunny and 87 deg outside!

The 12.5% Pool Shock is from the Ace store nearby, and I get four gallons for $15.99, so I think it's not too bad of a deal.

My pool gets full sun all day, and there's no trees nearby, so that helps too. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing or overlooking something!

I have an older Kodak Playsport. It does the job, but when water gets in the mic, it distorts the sound a bit.

Seems crazy. My in laws have a pool and they go by the pool store. Theirs was crystal clear for the first half of the season. Then we had about 3 days of rain. They took the cover off yesterday and the bottom was starting to turn green. I took the cover off mine and it was just as clear as it was 3 days ago. I tried to tell them when I first started this that I was going to use bleach and they gave me a real hard time about it. Saying it would bleach my liner and cause damage to everything. The only thing i see fading right now is my rubber duck thermometer....And that would probably happen with any chemicals.

Only thing i've had to do is add bleach. PH has stayed between 7.2 and 7.5. TA stays around 100-110. Add about 40oz of 12.5% a day and i'm good.

I even used a puck or two while taking a trip last week and everything stayed like it should have. I needed to add some CYA anyways so i figured why not use the free pucks they gave me at the beginning of the season.

Thanks to all on this site who helped me get started. Hopefully more videos will be coming soon.

thats classic of a pool stored pool. Im not sure what causes it, maybe FC too low, CYA too high... maybe both, but every person I know with a pool stored pool dreads the rain because they go green every time. I wake up and see it raining, my biggest concern is: How am I going to test and put in my chlorine without getting wet? :D

boy! that is some crystal clear water you got! awesome!

That pool looks awesome, WOW..

Mine is not there yet, but I'm a rookie, so still at it.

I believe my 19"/100lbs sand filter might be a tad small for my pool.

When and how long do you guys run your filter? I get full sun, no trees around.

I run my filter on low during the day and then turn up to high when I add FC and leave it on high all night. When i get up, its just part of my day to turn it back on low. I probably run it too much, but it doesnt bother me at all.

And to answer an above question, My CYA is a little lower than 50-60. I need to shoot for 50, but this late in the year, i'm just going to keep going like I am. Next year i'll shoot for 50. I get Full sun from about 8am-7pm roughly. No trees around.

Two days ago I messed up my FC test and overdosed and had a FC of around 9.5-10. One day ago, it was 7.5. Last night it was 6.5. I havent added FC in 3 days. Have had swimmers last 2 days. I thought that was pretty amazing to not have to add for 3 days and swim 2 of them. I'm sure i'll have to add tonight though.

And I get mine from Ollies...12.5% for $2.99. Cant beat that.

And to mrogers, my pool was 85 last thursday. Rained sunday and monday and was cold the weekend. Highs didnt even hit 70 one day. Water temp was down to about 76-77 Monday morning. It was 79-80 Monday evening when i swam and that video was taken, and it was 81-82 yesterday... 77 is pretty cold for me. 79 was chilly, but it felt good after I got used to it.

FWIW, I run my pump on Low Speed almost 24/7. My two return jets create a nice slow swirl of the water, right past my skimmer before getting back to the first return jet. Anything that sinks get swirled to the center, where my bottom drain is. Seems to work well so far. I only run my pump on High Speed when I backwash or vacuum. The pump on Low Speed is less than a 3 amp draw, and it's virtually silent. The 2 speed pumps are worth the little bit extra they cost.

My water is crystal clear, but the filter isn't doing a very good job of catching the sediment. I vacuum and it's back the next day.

Aren't those Intex cartridge filters a blast? Try adding d.e. alternative cellulose powder, prepare for many cycles. Also 2 pairs of nylons over the cartridge. Lastly, don't clean it as much, or as well each time... filters better. :D

Sand filter up and running soon, and GOOD RIDDANCE! to this Intex cartridge filter+pump. I have fought with it for 3 seasons now, I'll be glad for the upgrade I worked hard for. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.