Refinishing a fiberglass pool

Terry

Jul 8, 2008
Dallas, Tx
I have a 23 y/o fiberglass pool that I need to have resurfaced. I’ve read much of the available online literature and talked to a few contractors, but everyone has their own opinion on what would be best. I’ve been unable to determine what is the best route to take so I thought I’d put the question to a group of people who have no financial stake in the decision! :)

Background, just in case it’s pertinent:

Bought the house in ’94, pool in bad shape. The pool had 2 cracks, one 5-6” crack at the base of the stairs, one ~24” crack in the slope down to the deep end. Neither crack was leaking per a dye test at the time of purchase. House was vacant and corporate controlled. Pool turned many colors over the course of the escrow (iron from heater core, algae, etc). We were left w/a variety of stains that nothing helped. One contractor suggested trying muratic acid. We were amazed how a 3.00 bottle of chemical could wipe out stains that 500.00 worth of chemicals hadn’t touched. Drained the pool and acid washed. Why that pool didn’t collapse on us I have no idea- but I didn’t know any better and was ecstatic to finally be getting rid of the stains. Question 1, what type of damage does acid washing a fiberglass pool do? Plugging my ears, closing my eyes, and holding my breath as I await the answer…

Motivated by the stain removal success we decided to have the cracks fixed the following year. Contractor drained the pool (ah, so you’re supposed to brace the pool? :shock: ) and literally cut out the cracks- made rectangular holes around them. Also, we had a couple of bulges in the wall so he slit half moon holes in the bottom of the bulges, let the sand drain out, pushed the bulge back in (braced it) and put the sand back in from the top edge. He re-fiberglassed all the holes, sanded the whole pool and then painted it. I’m very happy with the crack/ bulge repairs, have had no problems w/ them in 10+ years, but the paint very quickly began wearing off, chalking, etc. Oh, and the last couple years I’ve started getting some cobalt spotting.

I would like to bring my pool back to its former glory, hopefully this winter. Should it be re-gelcoated, painted w/epoxy (ultraguard, etc) or something else? Does its history (acid wash, sanding, painting) dictate what should/ should not be done? What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure it can be sandblasted, then re-gelcoated. I don't think you did any damage to the structure of the pool, just the surface. Although I am not a professional. All of the research I have done on fiberglass, is that it is very tough, and most problems are with the finish. I will be very interested to see how you make out with this endeavor. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.