Did anyone here use BioGuard "Softswim" before Baquacil came along?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

My pool store used the "Softswim" (Biguanide system) for many years. I originally started with chlorine, then abandoned that since I got totally frustrated with constantly running into chlorine demand situations. I then switched to the Biguanide system - the water felt silky smooth but it created problems with clogging the filter. It resulted in short filter cycles - constantly taking apart and cleaning the DE grids - it got old after awhile. Then the pool store began switching over to Baquacil - which I currently use for my oxidizing and sanitizing chemicals. I find it to be much more stable in terms of the filter effectiveness. The pressure does not go up as quickly.

And so, I was just wondering what others' experiences have been with Baquacil and if you like it. Over the past few years they came out with the "CDX" system, which I have not converted to as of yet. One of the problems with the old Softswim system was the development of white water mold in the pool - which REALLY played havoc with the filter...something having to do with the Biguanide molecule just not working well with a DE filter. They then came out with a product called "Assist" that helped to prevent and get rid of the mold. It worked great but was discontinued a few years ago. The CDX system was designed to improve the whole system and prevent the mold. I still have quite a bit of Assist and so have not switched to CDX. Thanks for any thoughts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.