Using Taylor drops with a "Basic 5" test kit??

Jul 21, 2014
Tampa, FL
I have had a basic 5 test kit, got some drops by Taylor from another pool store, and my readings don't seem correct. I think the volume/capacity of the vials I have may require different amount of drops, and the Taylor droppers don't have instructions. I cannot find what the capacity is for my existing Basic 5 vials. I have the R-0014 ph Indicator and the R-0600 choroline (orthotolidine) droppers. For my Basic 5, I would used 5 drops of the Orthotolidine...use the same number drops of R-0600? For the ph, I would use 1 drop neutralizer (I still have some from my original kit) followed by 5 drops of the ph solution. Thanks in advance for any insight on this...what I am seeing is that my cholorine levels look very good, but I haven't added chlorine in a while, so I would expect it to be low. Also, my ph is showing that I need to add ph stabilizer. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

When using the Taylor PH test reagent you add enough drops to get a clearly visible color, the exact count isn't important. Also, you do not use chlorine neutralizer first.

The same basic idea for the Taylor OTO reagent, enough drops to get a clearly visible color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.