Hayward DE pump pumping dirty water into pool

Apr 5, 2014
Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok experts, I have a question. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on my above ground pool and its parts. We were gone a week and the water level evaporated below the skimmer. So the pump was not working (Hayward DE pump 1.0 HP) when I returned today. The chemistry levels are still relatively ok,, but the pump is not working correctly. I 'bumped' it to regenerate it to get it started once the water level was to the skimmer. It works for a little while, but then it stops working, so I regenerate it again, causing it to blow dirty water into the pool. So now the pool is cloudy. It blows dirty water into it for a few seconds then clears up...but this happens everytime I regenerate it. Does this mean my filter needs drained and recharged? (which I am not entirely sure how to do)?? The pool has only been working for about 3 weeks. Thank you!! I just don't really know how to use this pump or what it needs, so if someone knows how to use this please help me...the manual is not very clear.

I think the pump did run with no water while we were away. (I had no idea that much could evaporate in a week!) The part pumping into the pool from the filter is dirty, not where the skimmer is, but the water that has run through the filter/pump.

The pump body could have been damaged by the heat from running dry. That might explain the pump not working all the time.

Dirt entering the pool is a little tougher. That's normally a sign of filter damage, which is surprising with new equipment.

It has now been running for a few hours and seems to still be working. I just didn't know if these signs were indicative of needing a clean, so I should clean it before running it so much... How often are you supposed to clean the filter and recharge it?

It has now been running for a few hours and seems to still be working. I just didn't know if these signs were indicative of needing a clean, so I should clean it before running it so much... How often are you supposed to clean the filter and recharge it?

Which filter do you have? What does your water look like?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.