Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cl drop over the day

1. Back To Top    #1

Cl drop over the day

Greetings everyone. I am battling some mustard algae, I believe, and am trying to keep my CL level above 23. Last night I raised it to about 26, this morning at 7:00 it was at 25. When I got home from work at 4:30 it was at 11. Is this a normal drop over the daylight hours? It did rain for a couple of minutes when I got home, but it was no more than 1/4 inch. My cya is 38.
    BBBB?-Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, BEER!
    18' x 33' x 54" AG Pool, Vinyl Liner
    17,700 Gal
    Pump: Baquapure Workhorse Superflow, 2.5HP, 2 Spd
    Filter: Baquapure High Rate Sand Filter, 26 inch
    Baquapure Water Polishing System

Proud new Papa of a Pool Rover Junior! Born 6/20/08

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cl drop over the day

Yes, with a CYA level of 38 you should expect your FC to fall between 50% and 60% over the course of a sunny day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason.

So, should I increase my levels to around 35 in order to maintain above 25 through the day? What level is damaging to the liner and equipment? Or, should I increase my CYA slightly?
    BBBB?-Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, BEER!
    18' x 33' x 54" AG Pool, Vinyl Liner
    17,700 Gal
    Pump: Baquapure Workhorse Superflow, 2.5HP, 2 Spd
    Filter: Baquapure High Rate Sand Filter, 26 inch
    Baquapure Water Polishing System

Proud new Papa of a Pool Rover Junior! Born 6/20/08

4. Back To Top    #4

With a vinyl liner and a CYA level of 38, you don't really want your FC level to be much above 25, possibly 30.

Normally, the daytime drop in FC isn't that big a deal. Maintaining a good level overnight is usually sufficient. The major exception is right at the start of battling a green pool, when you want to add chlorine very frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School