Inground DE Pool Filter - Waterway vs Pentair or Jandy

May 6, 2014
San Diego
It is time for new equipment to go along with our recently completed pool remodel, thinking of variable speed pump, unsure about filter. We currently have an old stainless steel Purex filter, 48 sq ft. One of the local equipment dealers in my area has a display for Waterway DE in-ground pool filter, he uses these with the Intelliflo variable speed pump. My husband likes the look of the thick tank walls, nice handles on top, but we are aware that the manufacturer has only been making these filters for in-ground pools for approx. 11 years. Seems majority of local dealers offer/recommend Pentair FNS+. We will be doing our own servicing on the equipment and have seen videos of awkwardness in getting manifold back on after cleaning on the FNS+. Can't find any reviews online of the Waterway.
Does anyone have experience with the Waterway filter? Looking for input and advice.

Also looking for input on push/pull vs. multiport valve, we have just the pool. Any input appreciated.

Thanks for your input on both, James.
Happy to hear your preference is multiport, my first preference originally multiport, but All the dealers/installers out here state their belief that push/pull is better, no need for multiport, too many internal parts, harder to work on, maybe harder to install (?). I think the multiport would be easier for me to operate. I also think it might be a plus to have a way to get water out of pool without going through the filter, correct? Would you let me know your reasoning on multiport so I can speak with best knowledge when speaking with dealers/installers? Thanks again!

A multiport gives you more choices. You can go straight to waste, you can recirculate, you get a rinse feature, which is a good thing to do after backwashing. I have found multiport valves to be more reliable as well. There's only one moving part. Installation is just as easy as a push pull valve. I have used both and I would only use a multiport.

How big is your pool? Just want to make sure we recommend a good size for your pool.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

15 million gallons huh? I think that would be a record for this forum ... I am sure you mean 15k gallons :lol:

A 48 sqft DE filter would be plenty big. No harm in going bigger though.

M and k both work, actually the roman numeral M stands for thousand and MM for million. Thanks for input on filter size and brand.

I did find lots of discussion about repair of multiports and not so much about push/pull. Am I correct that once you have one type installed that it is hard to swap it out later for the other style, not sure I understood all that I read. Good input on multiport, James, I do understand what you say about only one part in multiport. Do the spider gasket and handle normally get leaks frequently and need attending to, or do multiports last for years and years before needing attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.