No more stabilizer....

May 30, 2014
Saint Albans, WV
All of the places that carry stabilizer are currently out and aren't sure if they'll be getting more. Other than the obvious of purchasing online. Does anyone have any advice for a replacement for a day or 2 til the stabilizer arrives??? Does the ph+ stuff work just as good?

Confused new pool owner....

Stabilizer, aka conditioner, aka CYA can usually be found in stores like wal-mart, lowes or home depot as well as local pool stores.

Have you checked all of these or do you mean just local pool stores are out?

ph+ shouldn't have anything to do with stabilizer as it is just for raising your ph.

Is it CYA that you are looking for? It doesn't go away unless you've drained and refilled with fresh water.

Your signature says the pool installed 7/11....so we're guessing it is indeed fresh new water. As an alternative to using actual stabilizer/conditioner/whatever, you could just add chlorine via dichlor which is commonly sold as "shock" chlorinating granules. With a CYA of 0 if none has been added, then your chlorine levels are going to crash fast and make algae a potential problem. A 1-pound bag of dichlor would raise your chlorine level 6.5 and raise CYA by 5.8... So one bag per day for 5 days would get your CYA up to 29 which is respectable...maybe 2 per day on the first day when chlorine needs are higher.

When dealing with CYA though, you really need to know your level, and the only way to know is to have a good test kit like the ones recommended on this site. Relying on test strips are pool store testing is going to yield a lot of problems. CYA is difficult to lower (you must drain and replace water), so adding two much can be costly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please do NOT post new threads for each new question...the whole dialog and story of your pool is important. I happened to notice your post count was ~20 so figured you had other threads...I see in there that you already have the TF100 and were told there to get the stabilizer...so all my talk about having a good test kit wasn't necessary...please just stick to one thread.

Older thread for reference to other readers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/81391-First-T100Test-results

Thanks for the advice and really im not supposed to post a new thread?!? ***?!? If i have a question thats not related to my other posts im just supposed to keep posting to my same thread? How will anyone know i've got another issue. Some people on here are just plain rude. If u dont want to help then just move on. Leave ur comments to yourself.

Thanks for the advice and really im not supposed to post a new thread?!? ***?!? If i have a question thats not related to my other posts im just supposed to keep posting to my same thread?

As already pointed out, you can update the title by editing the first post...but also yes, even if it's unrelated it's ok to ask in the same thread that was your thread...the history is very helpful to those trying to help.

How will anyone know i've got another issue. Some people on here are just plain rude. If u dont want to help then just move on. Leave ur comments to yourself.

They'll notice because it will have new unread messages and will pop to the top of the list. Also you have my apologies if I came off as rude...I did want to help, and so I gave you the best advice I could in what I thought was a non-rude manner. I also asked for you not to create new threads as is asked by all the experts/mods on this forum, and I even started with the word please since I figured you would not know. I even explained why so you could understand the reasoning behind not wanting a new thread so that I wouldn't sound like I was making an unreasonable request. In my humble opinion, I'm not really sure what I could have done to make it "less rude".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.