Bubbles After Splashing

Jul 8, 2014
East Coast
Something has started happening (or at least increased). Whenever someone splashes in my pool, bubbles rise to the top of the water and fizz for a couple of seconds. It's like my water is carbonated. When I'm under the water level, and I splash my hand in, I can see many small bubbles rising to the top.

What is causing those? I think I've read on here before that they are good. In the past I have not had those, or at least as many.

Bubble formation is related to the amount of soap-like substances in the water and is inhibited by water hardness (calcium and magnesium).

Before a recent drain/fill of over 2/3 of my water, nothing you could do would make bubbles...the pool had CH around 700. My dad even commented how it "doesn't foam" like the pool we had as a kid. With new water our level is around 325 and we have the bubbles again. Kids like bubbles so I'm glad they're back. =p

Well, my water hardness is on the low side... But I haven't put any soap-like substances in. I don't use any algaecides, all I put in are chlorine tablets and liquid chlorine.

Are there any other possible causes? Do you interpret this as a good, bad, or doesn't matter type of thing? It literally sounds like someone has opened a bottle of soda every time someone splashes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.