Clogged pool line has messed up my clean pool

Jul 18, 2007
I had a clogged pipe that prevented my pump from working for about 5-6 days. Now my water is cloudy and algea is growing. I had to use Muriatic acid to try and dislodge what was stuck in the pipe (it's a long story) and that messed up my normally stable ph and alkalinity. Just wondering what I should do with these results, i.e in what order to fix things so I don't make it worse. The pump is back up and running.

FC=16
CC=.5
pH=6.8 (normally 7.2 but the muriatic acid lowered it)
Alk=40 (normally 70)
CH=90
CYA=100

I know my CYA is really high but I can't afford to drain the pool and refill it so I've been dealing with these high levels all summer.

Thanks for the advice!

Get some Edit ~ washing soda ~End Edit in there to raise your PH so you don't damage your pool. ASAP.

How are you testing your water?

If you are doing the CYA test yourself, cloudy murky water can distort the results. You can filter the water sample thru a coffee filter before doing the test.

Next, check out the CYA chlorine chart and see how much chlorine it will take to clear the algae.

For a CYA of 100, if that is your actual number, it could be higher.... you will have to shock to 40ppm

For your pool, 22,000 gallons, correct? That's going to take at least 3 of the big jugs to raise it to 40. Then you need to be able to test that high to see if it's holding, frequently adding bleach, as often as every hour...to keep it at 40. Once the 40ppm holds overnight you'll succeed in killing the algae. That's going to take a lot of bleach, so stock up, if you prefer not to drain your pool down to reduce the CYA further.

In my honest opinion, you will be better off draining the pool to get the CYA more manageable. Even down a bit to 70 or so while not ideal is better than 100. The other problem is frequently when the CYA tests that use the comparator tubes....those tests read up to 100 but in reality the CYA could be higher....but I understand you have your reasons. Just something to consider.

Lastly, could you update your signature to include your pool specs and equipment? Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. That way people wanting to respond to your posts won't have to search for the info and you won't have to keep repeating it. :-D

If you have it, washing soda/soda ash/PH Increaser is the best thing to use to raise both PH and TA at the same time. Baking soda and borax will do the same job,it just takes more steps. One way or another, raise your PH soon.

Sodium carbonate (aka washing soda, soda ash or PH Increaser) works well, as the others have advised. I have also had good results using Sodium bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda or Alkalinity increaser). It seems to dissolve faster and cleaner than the Sodium Carbonate.

To get a more accurate reading of your Cyanuric Acid, you can dilute it with tap water 50/50 or even 10:1 if necessary, and then multiply the reading by the dilution factor. Do a partial drain and refill, if you can, to bring down your Cyanuric Acid levels. Even a 20% drain and refill would help. Avoid using anything that contains Cyanuric, like Trichlor or Dichlor.

Thanks everyone for all the good information. What is the preferred pH so I can use the pool calculator to figure out how much soda ash to add?

PS: I'm strongly considering draining and adding new water to the pool to lower the CYA but I live in Atlanta and we are in a severe drought. I'd hate to waste all that water plus the city raised rates on water.

The minimum PH you should aim for is 7.2. The ideal PH is between 7.5 and 7.8. However, the PH will probably drift up slowly on it's own so you just need to bring it up to 7.2 for now and it will probably go the rest of it's way on it's own.

Keep in mind that high levels of FC (anything above 10) will skew PH test results.

What kind of kit are you testing with?

I understand about the water. (Here in Homer Glen we have the highest water rates in the State of IL.) Do you winterize your pool?

Can you please update your signature in your profile, it would be most helpful.

Updated my profile below.

OK now I'm totally confused. I retested my water today using the TF-100 test kit and found these results:

FC=8
CC=.5
pH=6.8
Alk=40
CYA=60-70?

I tested the CYA twice to confirm. First test was 70, second was 60. I have testing my water for 2 years with this kit and it has never been less than 90. The pool is almost crystal clear today, all the algea is gone. We had very heavy rain the last week. Is that enough to lower the CYA so drastically?

Anyway, what pH should I raise the pool to now that you know more details about my pool (see profile below). I bought some borax and am ready to add it but not sure how much.
Thanks

There has been a sudden outbreak of falling CYA levels in the last week. Which is very curious, since CYA doesn't normally fall like that on it's own.

A rather heavy rain might have 2" of water. If the pool is only 36" deep, that is still only a 6% decrease in CYA level. Rain will lower CYA over time, but not dramatically like you describe.

JasonLion said:
There has been a sudden outbreak of falling CYA levels in the last week. Which is very curious, since CYA doesn't normally fall like that on it's own.

A rather heavy rain might have 2" of water. If the pool is only 36" deep, that is still only a 6% decrease in CYA level. Rain will lower CYA over time, but not dramatically like you describe.

You know, I made that crack a couple weeks back about a "bad batch" of CYA but now I'm starting to wonder.... :shock:

A good goal for PH is about 7.5 .... use the pool calculator to determine your dosage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the response. I just had a huge rainstorm and tested the water one last time after adding the Borax. Got the pH back up to 7.5 and Alk=60. I tested the CYA for a 3rd time today and confirmed it is 60. I have no idea what happened but I swear to you it has been at 90 or more for 2 years. I guess I just got lucky some how. Maybe the muriatic acid had a weird reaction because that is the only unusual thing that was added in the last week.

Thanks again for all your help. Things are back on track again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.