Considering DIY IG in Northern Cincinnati, Ohio (Kings Island) area

Nice. That is about what I am estimating at the moment. Do you have a thread or any pics posted from your build?
We DIYed ours and are very happy with it, we were able to upgrade many of the finishes over what we got quotes from a PB. We spent about 15k for the pool install not including he deck since we went with travertine. I planned to do most the install after the excavation was completed but he gave me the name of a PB that was willing to do other pieces of the project like pool bottom and electrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got the kit from Royal Pools, very pleased with everything. We got the travertine from south Fl, cost about $7k shipped for about 1200 sq ft, then another $6 per foot installation. I did rigid pipe since termites are big here.

Slowly starting to get some call backs from folks for excavation and pool krete/vermiculite work. I guess it is there busy season, but wish I could get those two things squared away. I called poolwarehouse and was actually a bit blown away by their customer service. The owned of the company (the guy on the videos) called me about 15 minutes after submitting a request for a quote at 6:30pm on a Friday night nonetheless. I asked him about 100 questions which he answered and gave me his cell phone number. At the moment leaning heavily towards ordering for them when/if the time comes.

One the questions I asked him was if the liner install was a DIY job or should I hire it out. He said it is definitely a DIY job and went over the how to steps and what o look out for. Any thoughts from other who have tried?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@bckcx2 - Thanks.

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if someone could answer. For the ones, about electric, I will definitely check with my local building depart before I do anything, but just curious what/how others have done theirs.

1. What size breaker to use in main panel for the sub panel? I am building a 20 x 40 (~26K gal.) pool w/ 2HP Hayward Super Pump (220v) and a 500W 120v light. Not doing heat pump now but want to size for future if I want to add later.
2. What size/kind of wire? I have to run about 60ft.
3. What all kind of bonding do you need to do for the pool (steel w/ concrete deck) and light (std. 120v 500w)?
4. Anyone have pics of how they wired their motor 220v with a removable connection to be able to bring it in for the winter?
5. Anyone have detailed pics of how they formed and poured their hopper w/ a vermiculite bottom? Do you pour the entire flat bottom of the hopper or just enough to hold the main drains in place?
6. How to level pool walls so say left side of the pool is even with right side of pool? How do you raise & support your pool walls if they are too low during setup?
7. Do most folks use foam padding on walls of new steel pool?

6- You will want to rent or buy a transit or laser level to find the high and low spots on the wall ledge and work to get those as close to level as possible, then loosely assemble the walls, then start working to get these as close as possible around the entire perimeter.
7- I bought the foam but the builder that helped with the bottom and liner install suggested not using it, he said he thought it increases the probability of rips since there is give behind the liner. I went with his experience since it wasn't a cost or time thing at that point.

1.) I have a pair of 80 amp fuses in my main panel for the sub panel. I have two pumps (I'm guessing both are 220 (220, 221, whatever it takes)), a heat pump, SWG and two pool lights.

2.) I don't know anything about the wire. The electrician ran it through my basement, but because it is for the pool (I think that was the reason) he had to enclose it in conduit.

4.) Just wanted to say that I don't bring my pumps in for the winter.

Jay
You live right near the gravel pits. Backfill with 1"washed gravel or 1"crushed limestone(no dust) it is a great base for concrete and will allow the water that gets behind your walls to escape via your footer drain, I get my gravel from Bluford Jackon.If your yard has enough drop you will want the excavater to install 2 four inch pipes that will daylight in your yard, This will also help to keep your liner from floating. The second line would be for the overflow line we talked about.
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.