First bid for first-time pool build . . . any red flags?

Jul 12, 2008
We are excited to begin our pool-building process, and we have our first preliminary bid in hand . . . we are still working on some design details but I wanted to get some opinions on what we have so far to make sure we are headed in the right direction.

We are in Cypress, TX (just northwest of Houston) and what we are finding here is that if you're not building a $50K plus show-pool, many builders in this area won't even return your phone calls. We're trying to keep our build at around $35K. Here's what builder #1 has given us so far:

Pool Features
Geometric Shape
82' perimeter
409 sq. feet
Max Width - 16'
Max Length - 32'
Depth - 3.5' to 6'
Tanning Ledge - 40 sq. foot
7' square spa elevated 12"
6 spa jets
1 bench at spa spillway
12' of 6" raised beam
20' of 12" raised beam
Coping - TBD
Waterline Tile - TBD
325 sq. feet acrylic deck (Kool Deck)

Equipment
Tristar VS Pump
1 skimmer
4 returns
cartridge filter
Pentair Rainbow 320 chlorinator
250K BTU Natural Gas heater (for spa)
500 watt pool light
100 watt spa light
Intermatic timer
Navigator pool cleaner

Of course, we don't have all of the final details yet, but based on the info above are there any glaring omissions? Any questions we should be asking the builder?

Thanks!
Heather

Welcome to TFP!

My thoughts:
- Why not Ecostar instead of Tristar? I think the first is a little better.
- realize the rainbow is not a long term solution, you can not only use tablets.
- I would get "the pool cleaner" over the navigator.
- a bigger heater is always better. Heats up the spa faster.
- How big is the filter? Have a waste port plumbed in with a cartridge filter.

What about the bones? No one ever thinks about the type and size of pipe and how it is plumbed until the end when you realize it is not ideal and should have been done differently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.