Deck-O-Joint failing on patio and coping-tile joint

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Hey all,

My Deck-o-**** on my patio and a similar product between the concrete coping and waterline tile is failing (see pics) and I need some advice on how to repair it.

Patio flat sections:
I have seen here where Sikaflex sl (self leveling) is recommended. Obviously this is only for more or less horizontal surfaces. How runny is this stuff? The concrete is graded toward the middle and down to a drain. Is it thick enough that it only flows to level locally and wont all run to the center?

My thought here is to use a multi-tool to remove what I can, clean out as much as possible, use backer rod for deep areas and then Sikaflex Sl. Anything more to it than that?

Vertical coping-tile joint:
What do I use here? Is there a recommended Sikiflex product that can be applied to vertical surfaces? Any advice here is welcome.​

Bull nose end section:
These are all in pretty good shape so I will probably leave them in place. If I did want to replace these is it even possible (and have it look good)?​

14515576680_bf3d1b66c9_c.jpg

14515756878_1c01d416cd_c.jpg

14699077991_c6ac704f03_c.jpg

I used sikaflex on my deck. I have a 1 inch slope per 4 ft. The sikaflex does flow a bit down hill just a bit but no so much that a normally sloped deck would be problematic. You would do good to fill the joint about 3/4 way, and then go back over it again the next day to finish it off after round 1 has set up. Thats what I did.

If you have a joint that falls off the edge of the deck, you will need to put a piece of duct tape or gorilla tape on it to make a dam so the sikaflex doesnt run out of the joint and onto the ground.

As wide as your joints are, you will need to put foam backer rod into them so you dont need so much caulk.

I dont know of a product for the vertical surface over the coping. The sikaflex I used wouldnt work for that part of it.

Thats about as much info as I can offer

For the vertical coping application I have seen people mention:

• MasterSeal NP 1 (Formerly Sonolastic NP 1)
  • Sikaflex 1a
  • Vulkem 911
  • Vulkem 116
  • Deck-O-Seal One Step

Any inputs on these as to best for this application, easiest to use, longest lasting, cheapest, etc? Any others?

So after a bunch more research I ordered MasterSeal NP-1 for the pool coping/tile joint and Vulkem 45 SSL for the concrete expansion joints.

I also ordered backer rod and Scotch 2060 masking tape for hard-to-stick surfaces.

I will post updates one I start the project.

Please update us when you start the project. Iam in a similar situation with the coping to deck joint in need of a lot of caulking.

Thanks!

af84b24f63349815938a3eb2d405bf68.jpg

I did the first chunk of the coping/tile gap yesterday. Picture is of one of the wider gaps. I am pretty happy with the way it came out. It took a lot longer to prep than I thought (backer rod and masking) although I think it will go faster now that I have the hang if it. I eventually gave up in using backer rod on the narrowest gaps (1/8" or less) as it was impossible to get it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finished up the project. Here are some pics of the expansion joint fix.

First used a chisel to finish breaking off the top layer which was about 50% destroyed by the Sun:
f9b621877ed7281412211444332521bf.jpg

Then used a multimax tool to remove the sides, and then cleaned well with a wire brush:
47216fe536c517b2cd6d2709105ba98b.jpg

Used bond-breaker tape on the bottom to avoid three sided adhesion, filled any wide gaps with backer rod, and masked the ends. Applying the 45ssl sealant was the fastest and easiest part of the whole project.
4c7e843d1aaa3e425c10d5257cd88a4f.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.