No Free Chlorine - Please help!

Jul 20, 2014
Wallkill
Since I opened the pool in June/2014 (13,000 gallons above ground) Test results have showed No Free Chlorine. For last 4 years have used BioGuard products and never had this happen. Pool place told me to add 28lbs (over $100) Super Shock or drain water and start over. Water was clear & good for 3 weeks but as of last week No Free Chlorine again? Now they are telling me to add 15 lbs of Super Soluble also $100. Is they any other less expensive ways to bring up free chlorine? Can someone please help me with this problem. As of today, water looks clear and just a little haze. :(

Welcome to trouble free pool

We recommend buying the TF-100 test kits from TFTESTKITS.NET

Dont listen to the pool store, they dont know about most things, how do you usually chlorinate your pool( pucks? ) learn from my mistakes pucks are horrible now my CYA is through the roof but im dilluting my pool with rain water and evaporation. If you tell us what your primary chlorinating source is that would be great and also order a TF-100 and give us your results

We use BioGuard 3 steps system and I have Hayward sand fliter.

Welcome to trouble free pool

We recommend buying the TF-100 test kits from TFTESTKITS.NET

Dont listen to the pool store, they dont know about most things, how do you usually chlorinate your pool( pucks? ) learn from my mistakes pucks are horrible now my CYA is through the roof but im dilluting my pool with rain water and evaporation. If you tell us what your primary chlorinating source is that would be great and also order a TF-100 and give us your results

2-3 tabs wow im gonna guess your CYA is very high, im sure other members would also say that

A pic would be great

Order that TF-100 i was skeptical at first to but that thing has turned my pool into an oasis, with a little hard work you can get your pool back to normal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cyanuric acid, Stabilizer. It's used to counteract the sun's burning of chlorine. Some is absolutely necessary, but too much is a bad thing. Most of us here use the trouble free pool system of maintaining our pools, and either use liquid chlorine ( common bleach), or a swg for FC and other chemicals we can buy at Walmart or a nearby hardware or grocery store. Usually for a lot less money than we we would be spending at a pool store.

Thank you all who have answered so far. I am just trying to figure out how much liquid bleach I should put in to raise FC of 0 to a 2 or 3? I have never used liquid bleach before and last time water was tested CYA was 91. I have approx 13,000 gallons of water pool is round above ground 24 X 24 4 feet deep.

Thank you all who have answered so far. I am just trying to figure out how much liquid bleach I should put in to raise FC of 0 to a 2 or 3? I have never used liquid bleach before and last time water was tested CYA was 91. I have approx 13,000 gallons of water pool is round above ground 24 X 24 4 feet deep.

PoolMath will calculate doses for you. Link in menu bar at top of each page. Let us know if you need help.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

New test today CYA level was 100 how much liquid bleach 8.25% do you think is needed to bring up FC level to 3? Also after adding it when is it safe to go in pool?

- - - Updated - - -

New test today CYA level was 100 how much liquid bleach 8.25% do you think is needed to bring up level to 3? Pool Math says 2 quarts 1 cup 6oz does that sound right? (I never used Bleach before?)

Whatever PoolMath is telling you to to add to get to 3, that should get you to around 3 assuming you correctly entered your pool volume and nothing is immediently consuming the FC.

May I ask, with a CYA level of 100+, why are you only raising your FC to 3?

Here are a couple of links to explain why I ask:
FC/CYA chart
ABC's of Pool Chemistry

WELCOME!

You are off to a good start! Finding TFP is the way to a CHEAP and clear pool!

Your second step to taking control of your pool and wallet is to buy a good test kit. A link to the test kits that really get the job done are below in my siggy.

This is one of those times where spending a little money will save you LOTS of money (and time) in the long run.

The links listed by the people above me a wonderful links to help you understand the whys and what of your pool.

See the pool store will test your pool for FREE! So nice of them (sarcasm). See it is not so free as most of the time the tests are wrong AND they will sell you all kinds of stuff to help your pool.

Most tests for CYA do not go above 100 so there is no telling just how high it is. If your CYA is too high your will never be able to get ahead of it. The only way to lower CYA is to drain the pool but it is very important to know just how high it is.

My old pool was ruined from HIGH CYA :( I trusted the pool store. Now I now better.

Hugs to you! Let us know if there is any other way we can help you.

Kim

These are the last results from pool store:
Temp: 76,
Saturation Idx:0.2,
TDS: 500,
CYA 100,
Tot Chlorine 0,
Tot FC: 0
PH: 7.5
Tot Alkalinity 147,
Adj. Total Alk: 117
Total Hardness: 225.
Bromine is still in pool.

I need to do something now while I wait for my test kit to be delivered.
Also can I go in pool right after adding Bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.