New pool...test results

rwb1

Jul 6, 2014
STILLWATER,NY
Had a pool installed last Tuesday....got it filled and all plumbed finally yesterday.

Took my readings , used pool math to get the proper levels...

Added 19lbs of baking soda to raise my TA....it was 2ppm, now 110ppm. Is that level ok? I have read anywhere form 80-120ppm is ok, but pool school recommends 90ppm.

My ph was 7.2 at fill and I haven't done anything with that as baking soda will raise ph a bit, but how long should I wait before I add borax?

I appreciate the help.....I never really payed attention to water balance as I do now , and I realize how much chlorine I burned through every season !!

Your TA should be fine at 110. If you find the PH going up quickly, which is unlikely, you will want to lower TA. But otherwise leave it alone.

Now that you have raised the TA, you should measure the PH again and see if it needs adjusting or not.

Do you know your CYA level?

Well, after adding bleach and baking soda and stabilizer in my new pool yesterday....24 hrs later :

FC= 1.5
PH= 7.5
TA= 110
CYA=30...best I can tell...crappy HTH basic 6 way kit.....good one ordered !!

My question is, why did I lose so much chlorine over night?? The sun today? Or is the CYA not kicking in all the way, I added 4lbs dissolved in warm water to a slurry...not much solid was left, maybe a cup.

I added another 80+ oz of 8.25% bleach tonight to get the level back up. Will the FC level even out eventually so I wont use so much bleach?

Thanks again for the help

I dissolved the CYA in warm water...99% was completely dissolved ....maybe a cup granular , poured slowly into my skimmer.

Pool was filled and chemicals added sunday...starting #'s were as follows:

FC=5.0
TA=110
PH=7.2
CYA= 30

24hrs later(monday) the FC had dropped to 1.0 and the PH seemed to be up @ 7.5

I know the CYA level takes a while to level out so...

Day 3 of new pool fill...

FC=1.5
PH=7.5
TA=110
CYA=30-40

added another 70oz of 8.25% bleach today....is it normal to add so much bleach daily or am I doing something wrong??

Do I need more CYA....maybe put a few pucks in the floater?

Thanks for the help

70oz is adding 2.5ppm of FC to your pool.
It is normal to have to add 2-4ppm to your pool everyday depending on sun exposure, etc.
So, seems pretty normal ...

But, you need to target higher so that you are not dropping below the minimum in the FC/CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.