New guy here - Filter/Pump help for an Intex 18' x 48" Pool

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
First let me say hello and thanks for the forum. I have reading on here for over week working to solve my water chemistry issues and I would say I am heading down the right path as the pool is looking much better.

Anyway on to my issue:

I have the 18'x48" Intex Metal Frame Pool. The pool has a skimmer box with a pump attached at the bottom. This pump that came with it is a P.O.S. as everyone knows so I bought the larger 2500gph pump from Intex as well. I rigged up the new pump to piggyback behind the old one attached to the skimmer box and for about 6 weeks it seems to have worked ok.

Now for the last 2 weeks neither pump has worked worth a Dang. We have bought new cartridges, cleaned them several times a day, and basically done everything we can do. The pump will flow very well for a little while and then the flow is cut down to nothing. I go out and mess with it and this whole process begins again.

This has become very frustrating as it is now the reason I cannot get the pool to finally clear up.

I am looking for a suggestion for a new pump/filter for this pool. Not sure I want to waste money on the 4000gph Intex that is out there or not. I would love to get something locally that could do that job but I doubt that is possible (I am in Richmond, VA) w/o spending 3 times what the pool cost.

Anything advice you guys care to give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Greg

First let me say "Welcome" Greg.

You could try looking @ THIS thread to get some ideas on how to hook up non Intex stuff to your type of pool.

There is actually alot of threads on how to do this here, just gotta search for em'

Good luck

:EDIT:

I know where I can get some good prices on pumps and sand filters on Ebay PM me for details if interested.

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way, I'm just a really happy customer :-D

I would suggest just going with the 2500 alone for a few days and see if it makes a difference. The piggy backing may be causing the waterflow issues.

Then, if the 2500 pump alone isn't doing the job, consider upgrading to non-intex equipment.

Have been.

When I say piggy back I should have clarified that the skimmer box/container has the old (very slow) pump attached to the bottom of it with the hose then attached to it.

This hose would normally go to the return -- I have routed it to the intake on the 2500gph pump and then it to the return.

The small pump on the bottom of the skimmer box is not plugged in.

I have tried the setup with it plugged and not plugged in and it seems to make very little difference.

What is also so problematic is the skimmer box stays full of water all the time as if the pump is not pulling the water out fast enough (which would make sense because the water flow has gone down to nothing lately). It used to go down when the pump kicked in and water was drained out to match the flow of water into it from the pool itself.

Greg

So youre saying that the water flow into the 2500 by itself, there was no discernable difference in the water suction / flow rate than then setup you have now?

I would then wonder if the 2500 is defective. Did you purchase it new? Anyway to get a replacement or have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yep no "major" change in water flow.

Had it about 2-3 months.

In the beginning it worked great. The one that came with the pool never worked well.

We went on vacation in early June (like the first or so) and have been battling the pool ever since we got back a week or so later.

A little over a week ago I found this forum and started reading and have been getting the water back into shape. The pump/filter is now my achille's heel since it just isn't moving any water thus I cannot get through to the final "clean & clear water" point.

Just like your screen name my wife is very frustrated and me more than her. We have gotten to use the pool maybe twice all season.

I have conversed with the seller and Intex. Seller says I have to go through Intex for warranty. Intex I am waiting to hear from still.

I have no problem buying a new filter/pump (not that I want to drop anymore money on what was supposed to be a cheap pool for the kids) but I want it to be right and be the last one I need for a few years and be done with this.

Thanks

Greg

I should add my equipment list ...

18'x48" Intex Metal Frame Pool - not very level but not awful either
Skimmer box with pump that came with the pool -- used only as the skimmer box -- pump has not been running
Intex SWG -- this was in use up until about 2 weeks ago when water quality crashed and I took it out to shock the heck out of the pool
2500gph Intex pump/filter (I believe it is the Model 635) -- this is connected to the pump output on the skimmer box listed above (SWG was in front of the intake on this pump before I removed the SWG)

Currently shocking the system to get rid of algae. Since Friday we have gone from a totally green pool to a little cloudy and I we can no see the bottom of the pool. Test results are still off (CYA is 0, FC is .5, ph 7.0) so we need to get that straight today. Without the pump moving enough water I am kinda up the creek at the moment.

Greg

Usually for some the best course of action is just to avoid using an Intex pump altogether.
They're not designed to last.

I knew my Intex pump was dying by the sound of it, you could hear a bearing starting to make noise. It still worked but I didn't want to push my luck :lol:

I have 3 different Intex pumps a 1000gph (used for 2 days), 1500gph (noisy bearings) and 2500gph (also has noisy bearings) got this one free.

Real pool pumps are designed to last 10 years or better and have a pro-rated warranty, which makes it a good investment.

GCS said:
I have no problem buying a new filter/pump (not that I want to drop anymore money on what was supposed to be a cheap pool for the kids) but I want it to be right and be the last one I need for a few years and be done with this.

Thanks

Greg

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good filter. Try eBay and the Craigslist http://www.craigslist.com in your area for good deals. Also, don't forget to check garage sales. We got our filter and pump from a garage sale for $40.00 and at the time, the same model new was about $300.00 new.

HTH,
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in NW florida and I am still using the crappy 800 gal filter that came with the pool, although I am planning an upgrade this fall... It works fine for me.
I have noticed when the bather load is a bit higher than normal or we have a lot of storms I have to clean the filter almost daily (and sometimes a couple times a day) which simply consists of switching out the dirty filter to a clean one, then taking a strong spray jet on the hose to the dirty one -it comes sparkling clean, then I just put it up for next time.
Mine has been running fine like this for two years, and of course my summers are much longer than most.
It sounds to me like you have something faulty with your new pump. Have you checked all the lines for something stuck in it? (a mouse maybe) I would also go to walmart and get yourself a skimmer sock which looks like a blue panty hose. It helps cut down on the Crud that gets caught in your filter A LOT!
As far as your CYA levels, put it into an old knee high panty hose and it will disolve a lot quicker than if you stick it in a gym sock. (got my levels up in a couple days instead of a week the last time) That will help with the cloudyness as well as adding a little calcium to the water. (at least it did for me) and I had to drain my pool and refill it do to some landscaping issues, so I had to rebalance twice this year...

Hope this helps a little...

Alli~

Thanks.

I am beginning to think it's a defective pump as well. I have looked it over thoroughly and found nothing. Tonight I am going to take it off the pool and take it apart and see if there is something in the pump housing or if the impeller has broken/bent etc.

Will do on the knee high thing as the gym sock does appear to be slowing down the dissolution of the the tablet.

Greg

UPDATE:

Well I spent some time working with the pump last night and gotten it taken apart (for the most part) and found some gunk in there but nothing major. I put it all back together and it appears to be flowing as it should.

When I got this AM it was still flowing just as well, yippppeee!!

For the moment it appears to be working correctly. I will be picking up the necessary PVC fittings this w/e from HD and replacing most of the flex hoses with PVC as I noticed last night that the one of them was collapsing from the pressure of the pump. This may have been a problem all along but I am not sure since this is the first time I noticed it all season.

Thanks everyone for the advice and listening to my rant.

I will still probably look into a different pump/filter combo as I am just not very confident in this Intex one.

Greg

GCS said:
searayboater said:
this is what i have: http://www.poolproducts4less.com/index. ... ProdID=357

The shipping took 5 days and it works great. I have it plumbed with flex pvc for now because it's easy to put away for the winter.

How well does this filter work for your pool and how is the cartridge life/cost?

Thanks

Greg

The filter is performing very well. No complaints. I like it better than my old 18" sand filter. I run it 8hrs a day and the water is crystal clear. The cart is a Unicel and should last at least 3 years if it is well cared for. I've found replacement carts for this filter at this website for $42.30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.