Home-made Cart. Filter

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
The more I read about how inadiquate Intex Cart filters are, the more ideas I have. Lately I have been thinking about how you could increase the sq. ft. of the cart. What if you had say 4 of their biggest pumps laying around and took one pump, and tee'd it off so it fed all four carts, would this be the same as having a bigger cart(in sq. ft.) like in a "real" filter?

The other idea is building a custom, or finding a container that could hold 3-4 carts stacked on top of eachother.

Input is appreciated,
Adam

I don't know the size filters you're using, I have an idea using a 5 gallon bucket. :shock: Find a chlorine bucket with a threaded top with an o-ring. Next, get a spa filter thats large enough to fit in. On top of the bucket top would need an outlet. On the side of the bucket will need an inlet port. I think the filter should be at least half the size of the bucket. I'm making this stuff up, it's just an idea. :lol: If you can improve on it, go ahead. :goodjob:

Actually, I drew up a picture/ diagram thing today that I posted in another thread that illustrates my idea.

Adamscart.jpg

I never thought of using a 5 gal. bucket. That might be a good size, a little wide though for Intex filters.

Adam

launboy
No worries that will work fine, but would have 2 lines out of the pump . What i mean is, after the pump, a pipe going between cartridge 1 and 2, and one between 3 and 4. So the pressure is same for all 4, then they all get dirty at the same time as well.
happy swims
Frank

I would not use a 5 gal pail as a pressure vessel. They are not designed to hold pressure. Granted they may be able to hold a few PSI but not 20 PSI a dirty filter can run at. A 5 gal pail is 11.25" is dia. That calculates to a 99.3 sq in surface area. At 20 PSI this is 1987 pounds of force. I would not want to be around that when it blows.

acamato said:
I would not use a 5 gal pail as a pressure vessel. They are not designed to hold pressure. Granted they may be able to hold a few PSI but not 20 PSI a dirty filter can run at. A 5 gal pail is 11.25" is dia. That calculates to a 99.3 sq in surface area. At 20 PSI this is 1987 pounds of force. I would not want to be around that when it blows.

What was suggested above is an idea, by the time and resorces used to make it WORK, you would be better off buying a small sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.