Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Home-made Cart. Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Home-made Cart. Filter

The more I read about how inadiquate Intex Cart filters are, the more ideas I have. Lately I have been thinking about how you could increase the sq. ft. of the cart. What if you had say 4 of their biggest pumps laying around and took one pump, and tee'd it off so it fed all four carts, would this be the same as having a bigger cart(in sq. ft.) like in a "real" filter?

The other idea is building a custom, or finding a container that could hold 3-4 carts stacked on top of eachother.

Input is appreciated,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Home-made Cart. Filter

I don't know the size filters you're using, I have an idea using a 5 gallon bucket. Find a chlorine bucket with a threaded top with an o-ring. Next, get a spa filter thats large enough to fit in. On top of the bucket top would need an outlet. On the side of the bucket will need an inlet port. I think the filter should be at least half the size of the bucket. I'm making this stuff up, it's just an idea. If you can improve on it, go ahead.
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, I drew up a picture/ diagram thing today that I posted in another thread that illustrates my idea.

I never thought of using a 5 gal. bucket. That might be a good size, a little wide though for Intex filters.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

launboy
    No worries that will work fine, but would have 2 lines out of the pump . What i mean is, after the pump, a pipe going between cartridge 1 and 2, and one between 3 and 4. So the pressure is same for all 4, then they all get dirty at the same time as well.
    happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not use a 5 gal pail as a pressure vessel. They are not designed to hold pressure. Granted they may be able to hold a few PSI but not 20 PSI a dirty filter can run at. A 5 gal pail is 11.25" is dia. That calculates to a 99.3 sq in surface area. At 20 PSI this is 1987 pounds of force. I would not want to be around that when it blows.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: 1.5 HP Super Pump w/ 1.5 EcoTech VS Motor
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by acamato
    I would not use a 5 gal pail as a pressure vessel. They are not designed to hold pressure. Granted they may be able to hold a few PSI but not 20 PSI a dirty filter can run at. A 5 gal pail is 11.25" is dia. That calculates to a 99.3 sq in surface area. At 20 PSI this is 1987 pounds of force. I would not want to be around that when it blows.
    What was suggested above is an idea, by the time and resorces used to make it WORK, you would be better off buying a small sand filter.
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL