Slideshow of 16 x 32 Doubghboy AGP installed in the ground

Aug 4, 2013
Hello,

I just wanted to post the images of our pool that we had installed / deck. We installed a 16 x 32 Doughboy into the ground (mostly) anyways. It has a 7 foot deep 'middle" (Think sport pool) with two main drains at the bottom. I do not have pictures of those (sorry).

Anyways, I was hoping people could look at the images and tell me what they might have done differently, for future reference. We have some friends / family who are looking at doing what we did.

First off our pool installer told us we could not sink it completely in the ground due to the skimmer (said it had to have a certain amount of clearance from the ground). The pool was sunk 3 feet into the ground, however due to elevation of the yard one end of the pool sticks out (skimmer side) compared to the other end (Short end of the deck).

I guess my question is, was he telling me the truth? I now, after doing ours see people have put theirs almost completely into the ground.

We did the deck about 3 inches lower than the pool to be able to put the winter cover on and also for future vinyl liner changes. Did we screw up on that? No going back now I suppose!

Anyways, take a look at the slide show and please give any feedback (good or bad). We have yet to complete the steps around the deck :)

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/bhmhrex/slideshow/Pool - Deck

It would be nice if you would use the correct links and post the pics directly to the forum. I can see them but they are very small when I look through them. I will give you more feed back when you do so. :goodjob:

I will try and shrink the pics down so I can add them to the thread. I had added 26 pics to photobucket and didn't think I could add that many here.

Sorry for the troubles. When I tested it out on my phone and laptop the link worked fine :(. Thanks for the help!

We didn't add a door. I put the box on four caster wheels (two being locking) for easy roll out. I added two handles to the box to help pull it out. Also added decorative eye / bolt locks to the side of the box that attaches to the fence 2x4s for added stability

The reason we didn't add a door is because here in the near future, I'm going to cut it down to table top height and build a removable table top to go on top of the box for a sitting / buffet type area. I ran out of time to do that, but wanted it closed off so no kids fell in the hole.

I did add mini doors about 8 inches high from the bottom on both sides with hinges and tiny handles to be able to get to the caster locks on the wheels!

I have not idea on the 'rules" for that pool but I love how it looks in your yard.

Are those bottles I see on the fence around the pool?

I like the idea of the table/equipment box. Multi use at its best!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes they are! Pinterest is the way I believe my wife is trying to kill me! ;) . They are "wine bottle tiki torches" They actually turned out better than I thought they would.

I've been eyeing these as a potential project! Seeing them in "real life" makes me excited to give them a try. Thanks for posting pics! (Love the deck around the pool too!)

I did the same pool, and am still finishing it up. my builder would not sink the pool any deeper than 30 inches, as warranty would have been voided, so we had to step up when we poured our concrete deck for ours. One thing you may want to look at is how I built some custom step braces out of some 1 inch flat aluminum stock from Home Depot. I hated how the Confer braces when over the pool edge. Mine is MUCH cleaner and probably a bit stronger. here is a link to my build:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75786-16-X-32-buried-Desert-Spring-build

Im in the final stage now, filling the void between the pool and concrete with 5 in by 5 in pavers. It has been a real chore. When im done, ill update the thread.

your pool looks great!!! I like the "rollaway equipment cover"

awesome idea. im still trying to come up with something to hide my ugly equipment.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

I did the same pool, and am still finishing it up. my builder would not sink the pool any deeper than 30 inches, as warranty would have been voided, so we had to step up when we poured our concrete deck for ours. One thing you may want to look at is how I built some custom step braces out of some 1 inch flat aluminum stock from Home Depot. I hated how the Confer braces when over the pool edge. Mine is MUCH cleaner and probably a bit stronger. here is a link to my build:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75786-16-X-32-buried-Desert-Spring-build

Im in the final stage now, filling the void between the pool and concrete with 5 in by 5 in pavers. It has been a real chore. When im done, ill update the thread.

your pool looks great!!! I like the "rollaway equipment cover"

awesome idea. im still trying to come up with something to hide my ugly equipment.

You have a very nice setup! Did you end up with any wrinkles because of the deep middle? My pool installer the way he dug out the middle couldn't get around from having wrinkles. I have four decent size wrinkles coming out from the corner of each middle to the ends of the pool. Something I am going to have to live with until we have a liner change I suppose.

I like how your deep areas slightly go down, I wanted more shallow so ours don't slop quite as much. Did you do the main drains at the bottom? We ended up putting in two and I barely have any maintenance in the pool. Almost maintains itself!

I've been eyeing these as a potential project! Seeing them in "real life" makes me excited to give them a try. Thanks for posting pics! (Love the deck around the pool too!)

Thank you! Yes, these were very easy to make. Really took less than an hour to put 9 together and hang them. I was able to purchase all the items needed from Home Depot. The only thing I did different from the instructions, was I drilled a small hole to put in a screw to help keep the wick to stay up in the copper coupling as the coupling is just a tad to big. If the wick doesn't get enough of the fuel in it, it won't expand big enough to stay snug in the coupling.

- - - Updated - - -

This a really nice setup! Pinterest definitely keeps my husband's honey 'do' list long :D

Thank you! I should post a pic of the home theater shelving system she had me build! I didn't want to, but it really opened up the living room space wise and looks good!

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

You have a very nice setup! Did you end up with any wrinkles because of the deep middle? My pool installer the way he dug out the middle couldn't get around from having wrinkles. I have four decent size wrinkles coming out from the corner of each middle to the ends of the pool. Something I am going to have to live with until we have a liner change I suppose.

I like how your deep areas slightly go down, I wanted more shallow so ours don't slop quite as much. Did you do the main drains at the bottom? We ended up putting in two and I barely have any maintenance in the pool. Almost maintains itself!

thanks. its been a heckuva chore to get this pool done. no wrinkles at all. our builder sold us on the deep middle as not only will it create more usable shallow end, but he said the liner will last longer as it has a more even pull from all sides with the deep end in the middle. less stress on the seams. i didnt do any main drains but I did add the second skimmer and return. My pool is always clean, just run the Barracuda auto cleaner about once a week (unless its real windy, then twice a week). The second return is behind my Confer steps, with the eyeball aimed down, so it keeps the water circulating under them and I have had no algae issues at all.

love my pool, and its finally done! :party: I just got all the 5 x 5 stones put in tonight to fill in that void between pool and concrete. turned out great. ill add pics tomorrow to my thread. I also ran component cables off our office directv receiver to the back porch. Gonna hunt down a bigger (42-50 inch) TV and a surround system for the back porch.

maybe a small beer fridge outside too.... :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.