Problem with DE filter

Jan 3, 2010
Claremont california
Hi friends,

My DE filter is allowing DE to go back to the pool. I have done the following.

1. Inspected grates and no rips/tears or cracks.
2. Properly install new rotor seal on the rotor valve.
3. big and small o rigs replaced.
4. Air Relief Strainer and tube checked and good to go.
5. Manifold check and no cracks

I am still do not understand what the problem is. I called pentair but the engineers were not around to help.

Included is one images that tell part of the story.

Please advice,
G.

Another item to check is the gasket on the filter control valve. Even though you have it set at FILTER if the gasket is worn out it could really be on another setting inside and it could be backwashing into your pool. That gasket has to be replaced periodically.

Thanks Casey!

Is there something I missed perhaps? I am a little concern as to the way the grates are not coated at the bottom with d.e. Is that normal?

I thank you for any input you might have!

G.

- - - Updated - - -

Another item to check is the gasket on the filter control valve. Even though you have it set at FILTER if the gasket is worn out it could really be on another setting inside and it could be backwashing into your pool. That gasket has to be replaced periodically.

Hello Pinky and thanks for the info. I just have to let you guy know that I have the SM & SMBW 4000 Series Filters 4048 model.

My particular filter is the older version of this system. I am trying to find a way to post a picture of the filter parts but I am not able to uploaded.

I will try again.

Thanks for the info!
G.

P

Does de come out of the returns when you add de?

In some cases, de can flow from the filter through the pump and out the skimmers and main drain.

I truly do not know,

I did clean the basket at the pump and the basket had some de at the bottom of the basket housing. When I saw the de at the basket housing, I though it was from my vacuum. I might be mistaken? I will check the inside of the filter again.

Thanks for the tip!
G.

The coating looks fairly uniform other than some areas with no coating. The areas with no coating are not a problem as it's probably just due to backwashing or normal sloughing off. The algae could have caused excessive pressure, which can damage the grids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If de comes out of the returns when you add some, I would suspect the grids, manifold, internal air relief, or multiport gasket. If none comes through, I would suspect that the de is flowing from the filter through the skimmer and main drain. That is usually due to an air leak on the filter or return side equipment. I install a check valve between the pump and filter to prevent this problem in addition to fixing the air leak.

View attachment 32042View attachment 32041View attachment 32040
If de comes out of the returns when you add some, I would suspect the grids, manifold, internal air relief, or multiport gasket. If none comes through, I would suspect that the de is flowing from the filter through the skimmer and main drain. That is usually due to an air leak on the filter or return side equipment. I install a check valve between the pump and filter to prevent this problem in addition to fixing the air leak.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I will follow your sage advice. I have never checked for leaks on this type of set up. Should I use some kind of soapy solution and check around the the return selector valve and at every fittings?

When I ran the water to check for d.e. in the returned I took the time to clean out the filter complete and re generated with new d.e. I observed two of the returns from the pool side and I was not able to see any d.e coming from the return line. However, there are two more returns in the small spa and I was not able make a good evaluation due to the amount of air/water coming out at those particular lines.

Please review the image of the spa. Basically this is how the entire pool looks like.

Thanks!

If DE were bypassing the filter, then you would see it from any active return after you add DE. If an active return stays clear after adding DE, then there is probably no DE bypassing the filter. I would suspect an air leak in the system is allowing the DE in the filter to flow backwards through the pump and out the main drains and skimmers.

An easy fix would be to put a check valve between the pump and filter.

Even if the check valve works, I would still want to find the system leak. I would suspect the waste line or the filter air relief. You could plug the waste line to prevent it from leaking.

Note that the waste line can allow air into the system even if it does not leak water.

If DE were bypassing the filter, then you would see it from any active return after you add DE. If an active return stays clear after adding DE, then there is probably no DE bypassing the filter. I would suspect an air leak in the system is allowing the DE in the filter to flow backwards through the pump and out the main drains and skimmers.

An easy fix would be to put a check valve between the pump and filter.

Even if the check valve works, I would still want to find the system leak. I would suspect the waste line or the filter air relief. You could plug the waste line to prevent it from leaking.

Note that the waste line can allow air into the system even if it does not leak water.

I thank you for you great input! I will follow up with all of the steps you recommend. I will plug in the waste line in a few seconds. The check valve will be install tomorrow.
In the return section of my system, there is a Jandy T type valve is currently leaking about a drop about every 5 minutes. Could that also be the problem?

I will keep you gents posted of any of my findings.

I thank you again,
G.

Any water leak on the return side could allow enough air into the system to allow the water in the filter to drain out backwards through the skimmers and main drains. As the water drains out, it carries DE with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.