Dang - useless UV sanitizer?

I must admit that we just weren't doing our research in advance, got a 18' round semi inground Radiant pool with a UV system. It has been a long time since we've owned a pool, and now I'm wondering what on earth was the point of the UV system vs. straight chlorine? Also, if I run the pump only at night, am I reducing any effectiveness of any system? The pool will have kids popping in and out of it often....well, only if we decide on a way to heat it - until then, they will go to the neighbours' ha!

So is my UV thing a bit useless, and I should expect the pool to be similar to my last chlorine one? The guys who installed it weren't able to tell me much about the UV sanitizer, as they weren't very familiar with it......other than needed to change a wee little light in it, if I happen to notice that it has burnt out...

UV is not worth much on a residential pool. UV is good at killing a few rare cyst forming bacteria, but they are rare to begin with and can be killed other ways. Otherwise UV is only helpful when you have a very high bather load (or a commercial pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.